proper fretting technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper fretting technique?

I noticed a contrast in styles of fretting technique while watching Chuck Schuldiner play and watching my guitar teacher play. My teacher is an old classical guy and chuck is... well chuck is the reason I started playing. My teacher tells me I am supposed to fret a certain way, yet I watch Chuck and many others fret differently and they slay the fretboard. I know there are some basic principals to keep in mind when fretting, but I am starting to wonder if it is just a matter of finding what is comfortable for you and your fingers and going with that. I prefer to continue to practice the way I have been doing it (which works quite well for me) rather than play the way someone else wants me to. I learn by watching guys play and doing what they do, taking and leaving what works and does not work for me. Does anyone have any comments on this?... Also I am wondering if it is common to have different fretting styles when it comes to playing rhythms vs playing leads..
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: proper fretting technique?

"it is just a matter of finding what is comfortable for you and your fingers and going with that."

read that til you believe it...yes there are certain schooled opinions that you are supposed to fret certain ways...but...it's always the rulebreakers that find new forms of expression...remember...the guitar us merely a tool for you to express your emotions...therefore you should do and feel comfortable doing them...don't worry about what others do...do what you feel is necessary...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Ditto what DM said above. The rules are..there are no rules.
      Obviously when it comes to hand position..the thumb behind the neck position works for big stretches (depending on hand size) and the thumb over the neck works best when bending and such..but find what works for YOU. Nothing is carved in stone as the absolute final be all, end of all. Its just a matter of finding YOUR comfort zone..what works for YOU.
      DiMarzio Endorsee
      www.dimarzio.com
      Morley Endorsee
      www.morley.com
      "Intelli-Shred" author
      www.myspace.com/intellishred
      NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

I myself, and most of the players I have looked at, have a variety of fretting techniques, each used for a different technique, (e.g. scale shredding, 3 string arpeggios, petatonic stuff.) or a different neck position.

Choose what's most comfortable for you. but MAKE SURE it is the best for you, don't just pick one and stick with it. It may be hindering your technique. For example, just yesterday I was explaining to a friend that I thought fretted way to hard. He was convinced that his fretting technique was best for him. In the end he walked away thanking me repeatedly.

I think relaxation/minimal effort is the key... Once you get there, your technique is most likely best for you.

Comment

Ditto to what the other guys are saying.

No need to add more.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

It's confusing to me because I am starting to learn to play leads and things like that, and I feel like I have to use all of the techniques and concepts of lead guitar when I play rhythm. I should keep in mind rhythm is rhythm and leads are leads.. While the two may have some common principals, I have to learn that I don't have to play my rhythms the same way I do my leads... I just have to find whatever works for me.

Comment

I'm glad to see someone start a thread with this subject cuz I've been questioning my own technique here lately. I'm in the same boat your are, gms. In the upper register, I'm much more comfortable with my left thumb wrapped just over the edge (like I use to mute the low E during rhythm) and the remaining fingers on a slight downward angle. In the lower register, I find I'm forced to cradle my thumb more under the neck to be able to reach and play some notes cleanly on the lower strings. Pretty much the norm for most folks based on what I've seen. Where I differ is that sometimes in the lower register on the D, G, B and E strings, I'll revert back to the hooked-thumb method for most things. It looks somewhat unorthodox I guess, but it's comfortable for me.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

There is only a "proper" technique for classical musicians because someone somewhere down the line decided to teach everyone that you HAVE to play a certain way or you'll be a horrible player. Everyone else just does whatever works for them. Afterall, music is supposed to be an art rather than a science.

Comment

thetroy, those "proper techniques" are guidelines that are estblished after hundreds of years of experience with the instrument. Different teachers will teach differently as well. Contrary to what's suggested, classical guitarists do have varieties of techniques that differ from person to person, just like us.

Comment

I was more referring to Violin, Cello, etc. than guitar. I just have a problem with the attitudes of many classical musicians. My opinion is this: Ultimately the technique doesn't matter at all as long as it sounds good and you're not hurting yourself.

Most of the "best" players of any given instrument broke the "rules" in one way or another. I'm sure Hendrix wasn't the best example of "proper" technique.

Comment

don't over think, its not rocket science..put finger on string, apply enough pressure to hit note..end of story. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Re-read DM's post a million times. The key is finding what works for you and being relaxed enough.

Hand position on the neck is more important in my mind, you have to have the proper angle to be comfortable hold the notes to extend you reach.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Play what ever is most comfortable for you, but before you settle on one style, try everything. When I play guitar my thumb moves all over the damn place, wrapped around the neck, behind the neck, off the neck, sliding across the back of the neck, sliding down the fretboard, etc...

However that is not "fretting technique". We seem to have hijacked this thread with the thought that he(GMS) was talking about thumb placement, when he simply said "fretting technique" and left it at that. If you(GMS) tell us exactly what part of fretting technique that you and your teacher disagree upon, that would give us, or at least me, a better jumping off point for giving you advice.

In the end I totally agree with DM, but I just want to add that if something hurts, you're doing it wrong. Try as many ways as you can, then go with whatever works best for you and what you are doing.

Comment

Ace- I am just trying to figure out if there is a right way to play or a wrong way to play. My goal is to find that comfort zone of both good sound and comfortable playing, though I admit I am not entirely sure how I am going to do that... I think I am gonna practice till it hurts, stop and try something else, practice THAT till it hurts, stop and try something else until it doesn't hurt no more. Seems to me that as long as it is comfortable and it sounds good, the "right way to play" differs from person to person.

Comment

Hurting is not comfortable. Really practicing is the only way to build up your technique. I have been playing for 13 years, and I have had very few lessons in that time. I am 99% self-taught, and mostly I just developed my style by what works best for me. There are dudes out there who only fret with two fingers, and there are dudes out there who fret only with their thumb. There are no rules, if that's the awnser your looking for, but there is good advice out there too.

Comment

I've been teaching myself for the most part, and I've been wondering about fretting also. Some people I talk to say to fret anywhere between the fret wires where it's comfortable for you. I've also had some people say to fret right at or virtually on top of the fret wire.

Since I've been concentrating on this here lately, I've noticed that if I fret right at/on top of the fret wire I seem to have a crisper tone and a lot less fret buzz.

I'm trying to avoid any bad habits to keep from having to go back and relearn something later down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X