Sweeping issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweeping issues...

I'm working on arpeggios right now and when I play then theres always a little to much noise. And i'm playing it slow and clean and fast and clean but when I kick it into high it just gets annoying. Any suggestions?!?

Shaun

Re: Sweeping issues...

ya, i would like to know this as well. my guess would be to raise the action like yngwie to help reduce noise but i don't really want to do that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it just takes a ton of practice. I've been trying to work on sweeping myself recently and it's very hard to get the left hand not to make too much noise, then get the right hand synchronized with it.

Comment

Increase tempo very slowly. Practice more at the slower tempos. Are you using a metronome?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

For sweeping you neeed a very good smooth sound/tone.
          Mute with your palm and fretting hand's thumb as much as you can.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Increase tempo very slowly. Practice more at the slower tempos. Are you using a metronome?

[/ QUOTE ]
            Exactly use a metronome and go at varying speeds. I found I could sweep pretty well at fast speeds but when I picked a slower tempo I was butchering the arpeggios, so I practice at a lot of different speeds. And make sure you anchor your picking hand, don't raise it when you come back on the up stroke (very common problem)
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

oops, not fretting, but picking hand thumb
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yes I always practice with a metronome

Comment

I found that I want my pick hand to be steady, but not stiff, as that will slow you down.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well one thing i know for sure , that very clean sweeprs dont use their right hand at all to mute, you must ,lift your finger so that they mute the strings themselves, and thats the ticket.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well one thing i know for sure , that very clean sweeprs dont use their right hand at all to mute, you must ,lift your finger so that they mute the strings themselves, and thats the ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

That works great until you have to move that finger that was muting the string to grab another note. Left AND Right hand muting is very important to get clean notes no matter what the technique, especially the more gain you use.

Pete

Comment

Agree with the above comments,there will be times when you will need to mute with the picking hand.It all depends on what shapes you are playing when you get faster that dictate how you mute.
                        Most of the time the fretting hand as mentioned by Montezuma
                        is doing sublime muting-Practise arps slowly and get them to sound smooth.On some standard shapes i hear musicians raking them not sweeping,so take your time and you will get there

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That works great until you have to move that finger that was muting the string to grab another note. Left AND Right hand muting is very important to get clean notes no matter what the technique, especially the more gain you use.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I use right hand muting too , but one great sweeper told me not to do that, i guess he ment that when possible i should only use my left hand to mute,ohh

Comment

Sweeping is a bit of a unique animal. The reason is because the pick "falls" onto the next string down or "runs into" the next string up. That's why you can have a sweep down perfectly at a certain speed, then botch the job at a different speed, expecially when going slower.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i can sweep on 5 strings with hammer ons on the first and last strings i use.i had tried for years then one night it just happened.But i have a hard time sweeping on 3 strings.like the G,B and E strings.i have a joe stump instructional vid but i still need alot of work...
                              "The cup floats pretty good till you get 2 or 3 people on it"~Vinnie Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X