Sweeping issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweeping issues...

I tried to learn to sweep back in the day. Just didn't happen for me. So, I went back to raking the fuck out of the strings and alterante picking. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck,

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Mike, so you alt. pick all those fast arpeggios like Steve Morse does [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There are other strings in this technique forum with very good info on sweeping. I suggest looking them up.

You have to have both right and left hand development and be prepared to put a few years of practice into it if you want to be good.

Right hand has to develop timing between the strings. Some arpeggios are such that you may be hitting two notes on one string in which case the right hand has to pause for a moment. So timing is one issue that takes a lot of practice starting with simple arpeggios and progressing towards the more complicated ones. Cmaj7th is a good example of a more complicated one. There are others that ascend one way and descend in a different way. Start with triads.

Secondly, if you want them clean without scraping or other noises I would suggest learning how to circular pick.

The left hand - OK the left hand has to be developed. The way to do it is to develop enough finger strength to where you can tap out the arpeggio with your left hand cleanly with no picking! Again takes a few years. Once you can do this you are on your way.

I don't know how to exactly explain it without being in front of you showing you this but here goes...
        Half of the energy of the sound comes from the strength of your fingers hitting the notes as if you were tapping them out instead of picking. The other half of the sound comes from your picking hand circular picking with proper timing.
        If you can't tap out your arpeggios without picking you will never have as good and as clean of a sound as you could have.

Assuming you put the work in and do develop this then its time to throw some taps and slides with the picking hand in there....
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Mike, so you alt. pick all those fast arpeggios like Steve Morse does [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an arpeggio??? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

A broken chord.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Can you fix it if it's broken? LOL! For me, I rake the pick over the strings and keep it in time with my left hand. It took me a really really long time to get it right. Just keep it at a tempo where it's still clean. It will get better from there, it just takes time.

Comment

Hehehe.

That's basically a literaly translation from our Dutch term, so it might not be correct.

I basically meant, Mike, that it's a chord, with all its individual notes played seperately in succession, with possibly omitting a couple, eventhough that could change the nature of the arpeggio.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Hehehe.

That's basically a literaly translation from our Dutch term, so it might not be correct.

I basically meant, Mike, that it's a chord, with all its individual notes played seperately in succession, with possibly omitting a couple, eventhough that could change the nature of the arpeggio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the laughing smileys would indicate that was sarcasm!!! I guess it got lost in the translation! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I know what they are, I was being facetious....because they aren't really something that I play too often.

Rock on!

Mike

Comment

Try tying a sock around the neck at the 1st fret when recording in the studio....mutes the strings really well...very cool trick for sweeping, legato and srting skipping techniques

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Some people just never learn! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

ehhe I remeber I put some paper between the strings to make sure if I'm playing cleanly at warp speeds, sweeping at insane speed sounds ridiculous, can't hear the notes so I had to check if I'm doing everything right.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                        X