ESP has cursed my picking hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP has cursed my picking hand

I recently purchased a Jackson KV2 and the guitar is not my first flying V. I've been playing ESP axes for about 5 years before switching back to Jackson and I am having a real hard time playing the KV2.

My picking hand is going all over the place and no matter how hard I try to relax and concentrate I just end up butchering everything I play. Reign in blood, war ensamble, disposable heroes, comes out great if I play my ESP viper camo. Plug in my KV2 and my picking hand goes to hell.

18 years of jamming thrash and shredding and my KV2 decides to send my right hand back to school. God is this ever frustrating and humbling. I can just hear the Jackson gods telling me "Bend over punk, grab those ankles and scream OH YEAH cause here comes daddy"!

I now know why ESP's are so popular, they allow you to get sloppy. I got some serious practice time ahead of me to whip my picking hand back into shape, and what a flogging it will be [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Re: ESP has cursed my picking hand

Dude: Don't fret it! You will have it in no time. Just a different feel that you will get use to.

I have similar problems when I play something in a music store. Have a hard time getting use to some guitars and sound like shit at first - and I have been playing about 30 years.

I think it is a normal thing.

One more thing - you may have to adjust some of the settings on your rig to accomodate a different guitar. You may find yourself sounding cleaner if you make adjustments.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

So true shredmonster. Just takes some time to get used to. The ESP curse thing was a joke meant in good taste. Different guitar's different feel. I'm just surprised how much it's messing with me.

Comment

yeah I have a hard time playing v's and kellys I got so use to resting my forearm on the body on the guitar that I can't palm mute for shit with those.I can strum open,fast and as clean as I want but I sound like I've been playing a couple of months when I need to palmmute this is the only reason I never got a RR1
        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Could it simply be the difference in string height from the recessed trem on the KV??

Comment

Yes and no Blood Splatter. I'm no stranger to a OFR, I believe when I play on the KV2 there is less room to rest my forearm as there is when I play my ESP viper. I'll throw some pics at you guys later on, the difference for me is rather disturbing. My friend Van Krol would know what I'm talking about. I need to get him in here.

Comment

I totally feel this situation, my SLSMG felt wierd after playing a strat for so long. Once I got used to the neck and bridge on my Jackson, I can pick and fret ten times cleaner on it than my rag-arsed fender, and I was pretty good on the fender.
              www.myspace.com/madeaband
              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I have this little Rogue that I take with me when I go somewhere where it would be a hassle to bring a full size guitar.

Fender looking thing.

Its about 2 feet long or a little longer. When you bend the strings they sound like rubber bands, like a floyd rose on steroids because the strings are so short.

The frets are really small, stings close together.

But at least I can practice.

Funny thing is after I get home back to a full size guitar I don't seem to have any problems for some reason.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

When I first bought my Jackson KE-3 I could hardly play the thing.. but I adjusted after a while and didn't like anything better!

Comment

I am planning on getting a KV2 I love my RR1. I never had any problems with it.
                    I would so snatch that up it if were 24 frets

I'm out like Axl Rose just before a GNR concert

Comment

I really had problems with my diamondplate kelly, and as much as I loved it, it was just too uncomfortable for me to play. Felt like my wrist was going to snap in half. I had the same problem with my USA Warlock....I am actually getting pretty stubborn about my guitars now, if it isnt comfortable, out it goes...I guess I am just a strat guy now...

Comment

That's odd that an ESP should ruin your playing but then I'm not an ESP player. I have carvins and Jacksons and going from one to the other is almost seamless but then they have similar neck shapes but different scales. Just work at it, you'll get it back.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I know what you mean, I could never pick for crap on a les paul. Licks I can do easily on a strat turn to slop wen I get around a tunomatic.

Comment

I've had the same problem also with my Rhoads Concept. I actually have to force myself to play it. It has a thinner and wider neck than my Dinky (which I love to play), and I have to sit with the Rhoads for over an hour every evening just to get warmed up to it and not sound like total crap on it.

Comment

I had encountered a similar problem when I first received my SL2H...the volume knob placement made my right hand feel like it was crammed/cramped into a really tight space and it took some getting used to over the following month or so..every so often when I go from playing the PC1 to the SL2..it bothers me for a second and then everything just adjust itself...seems to get worse if I let myself think about it for too long.
                              DiMarzio Endorsee
                              www.dimarzio.com
                              Morley Endorsee
                              www.morley.com
                              "Intelli-Shred" author
                              www.myspace.com/intellishred
                              NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Working...
                              X