Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question??

I'm one of those players that learn by ear and I never really learned about scales and stuff like that. But I have picked up good skill by playing by ear. Will not knowing this limit me to the point of crappy playing?

Shaun

Re: Question??

I doubt it. I think scales and theory ruin creativness sometimes.

you can make stuff up and not worry that its in a scale or certain thing and just like it flow.

Comment

I have some insight on this issue, as I've oft wondered the effect learning theory has had on my playing/creativity.

Knowing theory makes it much easier to improv, at the same time, knowing theory may set guidelines for you and you may not try things that dont "follow the rules".

I think the main issue with theory, is when you start learning it, you see guidelines instead of possibilities. Just remember that these are only recommendations, not written in stone.

Also, if youre going to learn theory, I suggest you dont learn half-arsed. That CAN truly hurt more than help. Dive in, and learn as much as soon as humanly possible, so you can get past the scales, modes, chords, and actually get to the fun part, seeing the endless possibilites instead of endless rules.
      www.myspace.com/madeaband
      www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Well I know all the major and minor scales and stuff like that it just goes away when I play.

Comment

I think it also depends on what you want to be playing.
          If you are playing shred and metal, then I say do what comes natural and go at it.
          (If you know major and minor scales and modes for the most part you're pretty much all set).
          If you want to play heavy jazz or even jazz fusion then
          learn as much theory as possible, only because you will hear things that are completely
          foreign to you and they will trip you up. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          But once you've heard something and can visualize it
          (you've played it)and you understand what the
          guitarist is doing, then you can take it and make it your own.
          This will let you really expand your playing [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

There is alot to theory, and that knowledge does help you navigate and have insight into the in's and out's of being able to have a base in knowing/relating the logic behind intervals, modes and such.

Some guys are very staunch in saying you don't need it. They learned it by ear and more or less formed their own concepts on what is already dictated as 'the norm'
            There are plenty of Blues musicians in this catagory.

Music has been defined by such things as a beating of tribal drums and chants, or a thump on a washbasin to the complexities of a symphonic writing.
            it depends on how far you want to go in understanding and communicating that language.

Even BB King had be taught theory by his sidemen of his own band so they could communicate on the same level, but it wasn't an essential element in making him listenable or being able to relay a message within the context of his style.

So, there are guys, myself included, who feel a good basis in theory is essential in being able to communicate a 1,4,5 progression in 'X' key. Knowing that, you can apply, these modes and scales over this format with examples of 'X' persons style of rifting.
            It goes with the basics of being able to write and speak a language. You have to know the rules or the basics to break them.

Just as writing has it's different characteristics, rules/laws over the centuries, so has music also evolved in how it is governed and written during various periods.

you don't need to know theory to bang out an indian rain dance, that is something that can be taught without notation, but deciphering the complexities of point- counterpoint in a classical composition or an Yngwie solo would likely require knowing the rules that govern it unless you were a gifted ear.

So it does depend on what you want to achieve and how far you want to take it. If you want to relate to other musicians, it is essential.

Comment

i wish i knew theory. i pretty much just wing it. without my ear, i'd be a dead man on guitar. my ear has always been dead on balls accurate and it helped a great deal. i would recommend learning theory, absolutely. my friend larry knows theory up and down, and can play just about anything he wants to on a guitar. it's really amazing to see. and the theory did not take any of the fire out of his playing which i think happens to a lot of cats that get heavily into it.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I'm right with Tommy on this one, I've got a real good ear as well, but when I start trying to figure out some jazz
                and some fusion, I get lost. the chord changes are all over the place.
                I have a friend of mine that knows tons of theory and he shreds,
                so I use him as my "teacher" when I get stuck.
                It pisses me off when I see how easy it is for him to figure out some of the stuff I get stuck on.
                I know some theory , modes etc, but I wish I had learned more when I was younger,
                it's real tough for me to find time now to explore and learn all of this stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I think you should have both. If you start learning theory you will appreciate the gains you will make.

I once heard it said - learn all the theory you can - then throw it out and get your own unique sound.

Nothing replaces theory and Nothing replaces a good ear. They should compliment one another.

I hated learning theory but am so glad I worked at it. Things get much easier and make more sense. Does not mean you have to follow all the rules.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Thanks, i'm gana learn some theory and see then i'll get back to yall.

Comment

-----

Nice thread title, boy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: -----

I dunno if this might help, but
                        www.ibreathemusic.com
                        bout the best free theory site around, bar none. HIGHLY recommend you get registered and check it out. Lotta GIT/MI/Berkley grads post there every day.
                        www.myspace.com/madeaband
                        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

So you like the title heh... Well I thought it up myself. And i'll take a look at that site.

Comment

No, you can still be a great player without a lick of theory. It certainly helps though when youre trying to play harder styles with changes.

Comment

Yes it's true you can be a great player without knowing any theory at all. You can survive the musical world without knowing it. It's also possible to survive a trainwreck.

I suggest knowing theory at least so that you can communicate with other musicians, especially on different instruments. You can scream frets and numbers to your keyboardist all you want, chances are he won't get it.

As for jazz, I don't see how it would be possible to walk into a band and do anything without knowing theory. Improv is incredibly dependent on it, and so is comping. (Follow the piano on that one, if there is a piano).

Any musicians interested in trying jazz BEWARE! I highly suggest at least trying it because it opens a whole new perspective, but the role of guitar changes so much. You're no longer playing the root note and suddenly you're wondering what chord voicings will work best and then how the hell you're going to transtition between them. If the band has a pianist, perhaps talk to him/her first about what they do. The role of the guitar and piano are essentially the same. Also, the tone changes when playing jazz. Most jazz musicians I've seen use a really bassy and mellow tone. I can't stand it! I turn the treble up and make it nice and bright. The idea (to me) is to not sound like the piano but sound like a guitar.

-Getting off topic, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X