No announcement yet.

Anybody Try Different Picks for Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Try Different Picks for Speed?

I'm a regular, semi-decent player: Vai, Yngwie, McAlpine type stuff. I recently got turned on to this light blue, super heavy clear pick with indentations for your thumb and finger made by dunlop. Don't know what it's called...

I had always used the standard .73 tortise style, but my friend gave me one of these thick blue ones a while ago and
    now it's all I use. the tip that hits the strings is stubbier - I can F'kn SPEEEED with this thing! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Anyone use a pick like this? It's probably the single biggest thing that's changed my playing ever.

Re: Anybody Try Different Picks for Speed?

Never heard of anything like that. I'll stick with my jazz III's for now.

Comment

Those are the big stubbies, tried them many times but just can't get used to them. it's just way too much pick for me.

I'm most comfortable with purple jazz tortex and Jazz III Nylons.

Comment

i use purple tortex-Jazz picks- brass tech picks and big stubbies most of the time.
        dunlop nylon.60mm's are used for acoustic stylings when finger tone isnt needed

Comment

Jazz III here. But definitely in the thick pick camp because they are better for speed.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

those are dunlop big stubbies. I started out with them, learnt how to shred with them, and now I swear by the smaller 3 mm stubbies. such a smooth pick!

Comment

Nah, unique picks and such?
              They never really appealed to me.
              I'll stick with what works for me...regular medium pick and my fingers when needed. It may have a name, but using a pick and the fingers at the same time(pick held with the index and thumb and finger pick with the middle, ring and pinky)is a very nice often useful pick hand technique.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

that's called hybrid picking

I use the regular Stubby 3.0mm, but would occasionally mix it up and grab a regular 0.88, or a 1.0mm Fender, or something else when I felt myself getting stale.

Now, I have a couple of regular flatpicks with some guitars, and predominantly use the ol' Stubby 3.0mm. Different guitars make me want to play differently, and the same way, some guitars just seem to suggest a certain type of pick.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Stubby?
                  Before there ever was a pick made and called stubby.
                  I used to cut a regular medium pick in half or trim it down to approx the size of a dime or a touch smaller. It fit perfectly inbetween my index finger and thumb. It unvisible to the eye one couldn't see it. Many times people and other players asked, "whay type of pick are you using?" I'd open my finger and thumb and show them, and you could see the marvel and amazement on their faces. I found using a pick this small useful for awhile, it really forces one to learn and improve their picking technique. It was good schooling/training/exposure. I definitely gained from the experience. The same with "Hybrid" picking, definitely worth its weight in gold too.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nah, unique picks and such?
                    They never really appealed to me.
                    I'll stick with what works for me...regular medium pick and my fingers when needed. It may have a name, but using a pick and the fingers at the same time(pick held with the index and thumb and finger pick with the middle, ring and pinky)is a very nice often useful pick hand technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that was called "chickin' pickin'" or something along those lines. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

chris

Comment

I used to use the Jazz III's and stubby 3.0, but about 5 years ago I had an accident and shattered the c3 and c4 vertebrae in my neck..I was told I'd never walk again. The accident left me paralyzed from the neck down. A neurologist/neuro-surgeon decided to perform a spinal fusion using bone donated from my own hip and a titanium insert. 4 days after the surgery I moved one of my legs and it was off to therapy for about 18 months or so. Anyways, once I got use of my arms and hands back..I started playing or trying to play again, but there were some residual affects from the spinal cord trauma..I found during that time that I could no longer comfortably hold those tiny picks. I did find that Dunlop makes a Tortex Sharp, which is a full size tortex pick with a very sharp point...I'be using the 1.50 mm ever since.
                      DiMarzio Endorsee
                      www.dimarzio.com
                      Morley Endorsee
                      www.morley.com
                      "Intelli-Shred" author
                      www.myspace.com/intellishred
                      NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I used to use the Jazz III's and stubby 3.0, but about 5 years ago I had an accident and shattered the c3 and c4 vertebrae in my neck..I was told I'd never walk again. The accident left me paralyzed from the neck down. A neurologist/neuro-surgeon decided to perform a spinal fusion using bone donated from my own hip and a titanium insert. 4 days after the surgery I moved one of my legs and it was off to therapy for about 18 months or so. Anyways, once I got use of my arms and hands back..I started playing or trying to play again, but there were some residual affects from the spinal cord trauma..I found during that time that I could no longer comfortably hold those tiny picks. I did find that Dunlop makes a Tortex Sharp, which is a full size tortex pick with a very sharp point...I'be using the 1.50 mm ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Truly inspirational.

Comment

I use standard Fender Heavy picks. Although I have experimented with different picks, shapes, sizes and thickness I found that a Fender Heavy lets me go back and forth from speed picking to muted rhythms easier. Although I can pick a little cleaner with a xtra heavy jazz pick, its tough for me to dig in and do galloping rhythms with one.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I use Big Stubby 3.0mm picks. I've tried lots of picks and I think they are the best for speed.

Comment

I use the Jazz III Nylons, and sometimes Purple Tortex's. But I definately prefer JazzIII's, they improved my speed and accuracy a ton.

Comment

Working...
                              X