lefty that plays right handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lefty that plays right handed

are any of you guys like me and play right handed even though your left handed?

if so i was wondering what you thought might be your own strong points and set backs from learning this way.

for me i think it gives me a really strong edge on legoto but its made me work like crazy on my pick hand.

and just to clarify- i write and eat with my left hand. i guess im as "true" a lefty as anybody.

what do you guys think about this and is there any pointers you can give me from your experiance?

thanks in advance!

Re: lefty that plays right handed

You should really play with whats most comfortable with you.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Same here I learned Cello when I was in 3rd grade and I learned to fret with my left hand (I don't remember why)
      so when I switched to Guitar I just stayed with it.
      My Picking has alway been my weak point. I've had to really
      work on it but like you said, I have great legato because
      my hand is so strong.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I'm a lefty that plays right handed also. The only things I do left handed are write and eat. Everything else is right handed. I've never had any problems with this, even in all sports I always felt more comfortable going right. I have no idea why, no one forced me, it just came naturally. What's weird is that my dad and my sister are total lefties. They couldn't use their right hands if their lives depended on it.

Comment

← lefty that plays righty....
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Guilty as charged! Horribly left handed, but I play righty.
            I too feel it gave me an edge in terms of my legato and stretching for chording. I think the 13 years of piano helped open my right hand up, but I DO find myself always feeling that the right isn't quite up to par with the left. I try to even this out with lots of picking/metronome work.
            I didn't even know that they made left handed guitars until I was maybe 13 or so, and by then I had been playing guitar for about 8 years! IIRC Steve Morse is also a lefty who plays righty. In an old band of mine, the bassist was a righty who played lefty and the beauty was..nobody ever got hit with a headstock! LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            DiMarzio Endorsee
            www.dimarzio.com
            Morley Endorsee
            www.morley.com
            "Intelli-Shred" author
            www.myspace.com/intellishred
            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

The other player in my band is a lefty who plays righty, works for him anyway...

Comment

Am I the only lefty that plays lefty???? lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't start playing until I was like 16 and a half unfortunately [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. However, I had been wanting to learn for a couple of years by then. My friend had a guitar and I would pick it up and play around with it and he always told me I was holding it the wrong way but it felt completely wrong and unnatural to hold it righty, even though I hadn't played guitar before. Therefore I figure I would be a lot worse if I had forced myself to learn righty.

It seriously sucks arse being a lefty though. Walking into a guitar shop and seeing only righty guitars with the occasional budget lefty gathering dust in the corner. Also not being able to play anybody else's guitars either. However, I achieved the ultimate one great thing, in terms of being a lefty, around christmas. I played the one flying V that Gibson made for Jimi Hendrix [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. It's the one he played at the isle of wight festival. It's in the vault of the hard rock cafe, here in London. It is currently worth £3 million. I was just staring at it eyes wide open. The guy doing the tour noticed and asked me if I was alright, and then if I wanted to play it. I was like "HELL YEAH!!!". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Im completely left handed. I have tried to play right handed numerous times, but it feels completely wrong no matter how much I work at it.

Comment

guys,

I'm a total righty, but my picking hand STILL needs a shitload of work [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<--- lefty who plays righty

Pete

Comment

great post.

i am a lefty as well. when it came time to learn guitar, i thought i would just learn "right handed" as i had to develop both hands anyway.

i agree that the left hand always feeld dominant...when i practice a lot, my left hand/arm never gets tired, but my right does. i also feel like i lack a bit of precision with my picking as a result.

Comment

shouldnt make any diference what way you play when you 1st start.I know that playing Piano is just as hard on both my hands when i 1st started.Playing righty gives you a bigger selection of guitars to play

Comment

I was born a lefty, but my parents forced me into rightyness (all that superstition b.s.).
                            As Justin said, you have a wider selection of guitars as a righty, so it ain't all bad. I can write a bit with my left hand, and do other such stuff effectively, however I have to force myself not to write in Mirror Image with my left hand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Oddly, I can hold a 4-foot long, 2" thick solid iron pole straight by its end parallel to the floor sideways (not straight out like a magic wand, but across like a weight bar) better with my left hand than my right, with my arm fully extended in front of me. My right arm and hand craps out after a few seconds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Whenever I sit behind a drum kit I feel the need to swap the snare and the hi-hat, and reverse the order of the toms [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe Michael Angelo is a lefty who plays right handed too

Comment

Working...
                              X