No announcement yet.

shredding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for being slow, but does the term "shredding" mean playing a gazillion notes as quickly as possible then?
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Originally posted by jjw View Post
      ahh cool..lol.see what i mean now with the term shredder!these youtube hacks have fucking ruined it forever lol
      Originally posted by Brick View Post
      Vibrato is key but if u wana shred just play to a metronome for hours a day then you will kick ass
      you paying attention here, wakely?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

yo have u guys seen that marty freidman wana be on you tube he has the hair the pickin style the kelly and he covers like every megadeth song, its pretty funny.

Comment

but does he wear a kimono?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

lol at kimona*looks for metronnome but finds a metro gnome from Paris*
            *slaps gnome around face*
            now fucking listen here sunshine,i want 32nd notes at 220 bpm and you can stick that namby pamby vibrato up your arse

JC-ahh mate you didnt have to drop your vid there-i have a few there and its good and great when someone one learns another lick or way to playi dont advertise-so perhaps thats the best thing to do..lol..i see other vids have millions of comments from young players from megadeaF forums and all that stuff..if you spam on sites you let in the wankers-not to say there all wankers but a lot of the comments is negative and not needed

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              [ QUOTE ]
              "shredding" is such a dated term....hate it when I am called a shredder...lol. I like to descibe it as technical playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I don't have an issue with the term in reference to highly technical playing.

What I don't get is all these kids who say they "only play shred". What exactly is shred as a musical form? I've heard guys that can shred on metal, jazz, fusion, bluegrass, hard rock, country. There are guitarists who would be considered shredders in any of these genres.

So just what is "shred", when someone says that is the style of music they perform? Are they talking about melodic instrumental rock ala Satch? Do they mean instrumental speed metal? Are they just full of shit? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I thnik i know what you are saying and if i do i feel the same way. the way i look at is the term "shred" means that you have good technical ability in a certain genre of music, be it jazz, country, rock, metal, etc. and if this is the case then i am no shredder. at all. but in my opinion i think that the Allman Brothers Band fit that definition of 'shredder' perfectly for their jenre. or bb king in his. but as for the shredder with sweeps out the ass and 128th notes at 200bpm for a 14 minute song then i also suck but i have noticed recently that i am getting more sweeps nailed and my playing is speeding up alot, i am able to keep up with faster lead lines and such. all i did was play scales quarter notes 8thnotes and 16th notes everday before i start playing, and also i do the same thing in school everyday on bass in band (actually ive noticed alot of improvements in my guitar playing since ive started playing bass) so just stick with it and play scales and youll work up to it eventually, oh and as for how long, ive been playing for a little over 2-2 1/2 years or so i think

Comment

I think I learned to "shred" in about a month or two, just recently in fact.

I was always impressed with Yngwie's technical genius, just not enough to sit through an entire album of it. I always thought that an outstanding player would be one who combined the technicality of Yngwie with the musicality of Kirk Hammett. That's about when I learned of a band called "Between the Buried and Me" and their lead guitarist, Paul Waggoner. Although the music is "overboard" at times, I was impressed with the techniques combined with the sheer musical emotion. That is what inspired me to learn "shredding", or sweep picking.

But yeah, so many people get caught up in "look at what I can do" when it should be "listen to this and FEEL how I do".
                "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

you did not learn to shred in 2 months

Comment

musicality of kirk hammett!

Comment

Ya.. they should call Kirk Hammett K-hacker. Not that I should rip on him being signed with world tours and all, there are a few solos I like but on the whole, the guy does nada for me. Oh well, one guys noise is another guys jazz.

There was a time when 'it' wasn't called 'shred'.. it was just called playing technical things fast.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 11-13-2006, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                        Ya.. they should call Kirk Hammett K-hacker. Not that I should rip on him being signed with world tours and all, there are a few solos I like but on the whole, the guy does nada for me. Oh well, one guys noise is another guys jazz.
                        careful....you'll set off the Kirk Fan-Boys here. Any criticism of Kirk can only be interpreted as a petty jealousy, and will generate responses like "well, I don't see YOU selling millions of albums and touring the world".

Feel free to dislike any other guitarist, but no criticism of Kirk will be taken seriously. Because clearly, you are wrong.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, I guess I should add a couple of things to make myself more clear:

First off, when I hear the term "shredding", I think "sweep picking" Yngwie-style. Yes, I learned the technique in just a couple of months. But thankfully, I have had a good 13 years of playing experience prior to learning this technique (rather sad, actually... I should be WAY better than I really am).

As far as using "Kirk Hammett" and "musicality" in the same sentence... I agree that there are a million and a half better guitarists out there. Let me explain what I meant by "musicality" (which could totally have been the wrong term altogether): I don't listen to a whole lot of Metallica, BUT, I can hum every single one of Kirk's leads - they're just that catchy. It certainly doesn't make him a tenth as spectacular as Joe Pass, but he is recognized by millions more. And it's all because the melodies of his leads are pleasing to the ear, and are easily remembered. That's what I meant by "musicality". I really wasn't trying to put KH on a pedestal of any sort!

I'm sure that everyone here could come up with a definition of "musicality" far greater than mine, but I think you know what I'm trying to say now.
                          "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

Schenker, Schenker, Schenker..

Seriously, that's musicality for ya
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

I didn't read the whole thread, but I scanned over it. Lots of good advice. Don't get too hung up on the whole "shred" thing. If you practice scales and arpeggios with a metronome dilligently with proper technique, you will be able to play fast and accurately. Learn how to apply those scales and arpeggios that you practice to progressions. The best guitar solos are the ones that are memorable and serve the song. Don't over play... vibrato is important. To me, vibrato is what separates the men from the boys. If you can rip up the fretboard but can't bend or have a weak vibrato, it sounds amatuerish. Listen closely to the "masters". All the top dogs have great vibrato in addition to great technique... Yngwie, Macalpine, Schenker, Lynch, SRV, Uli Roth, Gary Moore, (just to name a few). Especially Yngwie... his vibrato absolutely weeps. His bends are always perfectly in tune.

I think in the last few years because of all the videos and lessons so readily available on the internet, beginning guitar players are learning to run before they can walk.

Don't rush it, practice, and always try to serve the song. Sometimes you may need to play one note, other times you may need to pull out all the stops. Its music, not a competition.

Comment

Kurt is a huge Schenker fan btw.
                                G you live on the other side of the equator! and on the other side of the world..I have to flip all your posts upside down and read them backwards via a mirror just to make any sense out them. j/k of course..

oh I see.. Kurt is great.. no doubt.
                                Last edited by charvelguy; 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X