X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shredding

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm srry for this very n00bish question:

How exactly do those virbratoes sound? Are they made by the whammy bar (Floyd, Kahler, whatever...) or with the left hand (from a right handed player point of view)? I can't shred. Would like to learn it. Don't have time to practise a lot cos I have school and also work for gear money.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good vibrato technique usually is developed over many painstaking years and many hours of practice. These guys have world class vibrato.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

"Good" vibrato is all left hand (I personally have ALWAYS cheated and used a trem - no bar just the trem, but I have also been working on it lately so we will see!).

Pure shred albums are for the most part boring becuase the songs generally stink.

Go back to basics and check out Randy Rhoads, VH, George Lynch (if you can stand the glam/pop-ish metal). If you like heavier check out Alex Sckolnick's playing on Testemant's "The New Order".

Depending on your skill level and practice time, getting it gong can take three or more years. I consider myself needing a lot of work but have seen results in the last 2 years. To put things in perspective, Zakk Wylde practiced 6 or more hours a night in highschool before getting the ozzy gig, but I saw him on the first tour and he was fukin amazing!

As a practical matter, while I would not recommend going overboard, it is good to try many differnt players styles as I think it promotes learning as well as creativity. Pick a few solos that you think are cool and begin to learn them correctly and take your time, build the speed. If you find yourself getting bored or not improving, try something new and go back to the other one later. And of course scales, scales scales. Learn the various positions and practice them over and over , triples, quadruples, string scipping etc. And lets not forget arpeggios. If you put the time in, it will come.

HTH
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

this sounds stupid, but what is a vibrato?

Comment

Vibrato
          A very basic explanation. To put it laymans terms,
          the way a player grabs notes and makes them sing.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

good vibrato can also be played with the bar

Comment

It took me six minutes and twelve seconds to learn to shred.

Comment

why did it take so long?

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

he had to transcribe I'll See The Light Tonight first....... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My wife's cat has an inate ability to shred.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

If you want to hear vibrato...listen to a good blues guitar player. Listen to Stevie Ray or Buddy Guy...or the KING of vibrato, BB King. SRV could shake the shit out of 3 strings at a time, and no 9's either...he played 13s. Buddy Guy's vibrato is insane.

I figured out very early on that I would never be an all out shredder. I can play moderately fast on pentatonic licks that I have been playing forever, but after 17 years...I can't sweep and run scales like many of the guys here. So, I like to play blues mostly, often infused with a great amount of distortion. I guess kinda like Gary Moore. When I bought Still Got the Blues when it came out, I knew I had found a kindred soul. I don't try to emulate his style, but I like his philosophy. However, GM is a former shredder and is fully capable of reverting to this and ruining a perfectly good song. Case in point, the final solos on the song "Still got the Blues". You can hear him click on the bridge pickup on his LP and then the shredding commences. Moore also has a nice vibrato.

I learned very early on that a good vibrato was essential, and I have worked on vibrato since day one. However, I mostly apply vibrato with my pointer finger and middle finger...I can't do it with my pinky like George Lynch!!

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I was wondering if ANYONE would mention stevie. Everytime I hear "the sky is crying" I get all tearyeyed. MBreinin is dead on, want to hear perfect vibrato, listen to the blues (I live in memphis and killer blues guitar playing can always be found on beale street, any night of the week). I've seen some local players that are downright UNBELIEVABLE. But I'm not talking about 600 notes in one measure, I'm talking about soulful, emotional playing. Speed is cool to a point. I've seen francesco's website and well.....lame imo. He can sweep pick and that's about it. In one of his video's he tries for a few seconds to do actual vibrato soulful playing and failed miserably.....then went straight back to sweeping

Comment

francesco's music is fn painfull to my ears too,he lacks phrases/dynamics and vibrato(of all speeds and widths)I dont think he has played for to long and i am sure he knows his problems.He used to have a guest book that was unfairly full of people telling him how bad he is!That must have hurt him as last time i looked on his site that section was down.I think in another 5 years he will be killer
                          Blues aint too bad but is not the holy grail of soulfull playing-plenty of string benders in every other style-I also hear emotional playing in other areas of guitar.speed can and does have its place-as does melodic playing-dynamic/ect/ect.

Comment

"shredding" is such a dated term....hate it when I am called a shredder...lol. I like to descibe it as technical playing. Anyway I am a fim believer that you will either have it or you wont regardless of practise hours spent.Using technique just for the sake of playing fast will most times make you sound like an idiot but when you use it tastefully and build up to it and it is complimenting the song.than it is good.....check out our website www.stephenross.com I am Ron the 2nd guitar player in Rogosonic...there are some sound clips of our new cd there which was just finished being mixed yesterday.

Comment

Cool clips there Stephen-i like the new tune Open Mind a lot-great gtr tone and good vocals too.Good stuff alround [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                "shredding" is such a dated term....hate it when I am called a shredder...lol. I like to descibe it as technical playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
                                I don't have an issue with the term in reference to highly technical playing.

What I don't get is all these kids who say they "only play shred". What exactly is shred as a musical form? I've heard guys that can shred on metal, jazz, fusion, bluegrass, hard rock, country. There are guitarists who would be considered shredders in any of these genres.

So just what is "shred", when someone says that is the style of music they perform? Are they talking about melodic instrumental rock ala Satch? Do they mean instrumental speed metal? Are they just full of shit? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X