Downstrokes vs. Upstrokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downstrokes vs. Upstrokes

Is there anyone here who can upstroke as comfortably as they can downstroke? Like I mean, can anyone play Master of Puppets all upstrokes? I noticed my upstrokes are much weaker then my downstrokes and if I try to just chug a rhythm even really slowly with all upstrokes my picking hand doesn't feel nearly as confident as I do when doing downstrokes....Do you think working on this is beneficial to my playing? I think if I can work on that for half an hour a day, eventually it'll be close to my downstroke technique and will probably do a world of wonders for my alternate picking....

Re: Downstrokes vs. Upstrokes

Interesting, but not my bag, however I'd say it also depends on how you hold your pick.
    If you hit the strings perfectly flat with the pick without any slant at all (the Mel Bay Way) then the only thing that should really get in the way of developing stronger upstrokes would be the concern that you'll bust a string and it'll slice your hand off (at least that's always been my fear [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I pick at more of a downward AND sideways angle, and more of the pick hits the strings on the upstroke because of the way I slightly turn the pick unless I also remember to tilt the pick upwards first. This slows me down a bit, but then I'm not interested in playing M.O.P. in all upstrokes (or even all downstrokes - I do it Alternately).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Interesting theory, maybe you could practice it for a month, and give us an update?
      www.myspace.com/madeaband
      www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I play with my pick the "Mel Bay" way, as Newc put it, and I can confidently say that my upstrokes are just as strong. However, I have a lot of endurance built up playing downstroked rhythm, so while I could probably do it, I'd tired very quickly.

Comment

Cool thanks for the replies folks.....I'm gonna give it a shot and let you know how it goes...

Comment

kirk and james play master of puppets with all downstrokes so that it sounds more uniformly heavy. if that's how they play it, why bother learning it playing upstrokes?

Comment

Playing on the downstroke accents the root note of your chord, whereas playing on the upstroke would emphesize the complimentary notes fretted in the chord. So if you were playing a A power chord on the 5th fret of your E(6th) string on a downstroke the A would be the emphesized note, whereas if you played it on the upstroke, the E on the A(5th) string would be emphesized. While that's not a "bad" thing, for metal most people would want the the lowest, or root note, to sound loudest, giving you the "heaviest" sound.

I can play pretty quick on the upstroke, but like most people on this board I'm sure, I have certainly done the vast majority of my playing on the downstroke.

Comment

I like how guys like Adrian Smith & Dave Mustaine will pump out the root with 8th or 16th note downstrokes and stab the accented chords with an upstroke. I used to always play that sort of thing entirely with downstrokes, but have been working on hitting the chords with upstrokes lately because I dig how it sounds. The chords just pop out at you.

But of course that's not the same as playing long sections with all upstrokes. It's counterintuitive to me and is fighting against gravity.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  kirk and james play master of puppets with all downstrokes so that it sounds more uniformly heavy. if that's how they play it, why bother learning it playing upstrokes?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about learning to play Master of Puppers all upstrokes, it's about being able to upstroke single notes as quickly and with as much control as my downstrokes....I just want to build confidence in my upstrokes so that my alternate picking 240bpm death metal riffs come out sounding as clean and uniform as possible...I've been able to play MoP the way Kirk and James play it for about 7 years now so I figured why not try something new...

Comment

Working...
                  X