Metronome and Its Importance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronome and Its Importance

For you guys who have used a metronome to practice for years, what is the benefit? I'm sure its a no brainer but, I practiced when I was younger for years without one simply because the noise of it, and my guitar UNPLUGGED, would piss my father off (this is the truth) so I practiced without the tick, tick and the volume. I'm sure this hurt me but I had no choice than. What does a metronome REALLY do for your chops besides timing? I do hope this isnt a stupid question and hopefully this question will help the younger guys out here.

Re: Metronome and Its Importance

Ok, it's not a stupid question...but it's all about the timing. It helps your timing, your sense of where notes will fit and where they won't in a progression...I personally am using it every day, and can't stress the importance of it enough. It improves your technique. I just can't explain how much it is needed. I never used it when I started, now I am tryin to catch up. I should be WAY better than I am..but I never used a metronome and it shows.

Comment

I never use one and I play fine.

Comment

I think a metronome would be important. So, I'll be practicing with one from now on.

Comment

I have one but don't use it much. I should probably use it more. I do it as more of a "how fast can I play this scale" type deal.

Comment

everybody recommends one including Pettrucci and Zakk Wylde so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get one ... I use the one on www.metronomeonline.com/ and it works great

Comment

I found one online thats called Weird Metronome. Its easy to use and has some pretty neat sounds and settings.

Comment

I think that it is very important to use when developing your lead chops. I never used one to keep time for rhyhtm playing but for scales and arpeggios at fast speeds its a must for honning you your skill imho. Bad timing on difficult pieces sucks and shows a players inexperience or laziness
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I think that it is very important to use when developing your lead chops. I never used one to keep time for rhyhtm playing but for scales and arpeggios at fast speeds its a must for honning you your skill imho. Bad timing on difficult pieces sucks and shows a players inexperience or laziness

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. I've been playing off and on for about 20 years and though I am somewhat advanced, I should be MUCH better than I am. I think this is because, my lack of practicing with a metronome, my substance abuse in my 20s and early 30s and just being plain lazy. Though being married with children and having a buisness doesnt help either. I would love to take that Guitar Summer Workshop this year but, that probably wont work either.

Comment

Practicing with a metronome is definitely a must for the serious player. Not for just lead playing but also with rhythm as well.

Comment

never used one and I'm happy about that.
                      Rusty Cooley never used one also, but he can play bretty well [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I use one. everytime I feel I'm getting sloppy. I step back from what I'm doing, turn it on
                        and start playing scales and arpeggios against it.
                        It keeps me honest and exposes weaknesses in my playing.
                        You'd be amazed that something that you can play very fast
                        sounds like crap when you try to play it at a different
                        speed than you normally do.
                        Also when I learn a new passage that I find difficult to
                        play smoothly I play it at different speeds with the metronome.
                        Perfect case point. I've been learning "Perpetual Burn"
                        I play it much cleaner and smoothly now that I've taken the time to make sure
                        that the arpeggios are nice and clean at different speeds.
                        Ok My 2 cents I'm done [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

It's a great way to improve your speed - with the whole trick being to make sure you can play the phrase you are working on CLEANLY before bumping up the speed on the metronome...If you are impatient and bump the speed of the phrase up before you can play it cleanly at a slower tempo, you will play the phrase sloppily slowly and more sloppily quickly!!! Methodical - yes...Effective - yes...

Comment

Use it if it works for you. It is one way to improve. I have had friends use them but I have not personally.

I speed up and slow down the things I practice. Back and forth. When I can play them as clean either way I know I have got it.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I never use one and I play fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like a second opinion please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X