• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metronome and Its Importance

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I never use one and I play fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like a second opinion please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ask any of the people who come to my shows and tell me all night how much I shred! Ask anyone in my band. Ask anyone who I've toured with. Ask anyone who's bought my CD's. Ask anyone who I've worked with, either as a guitar tech or as a bandmember or hired gun. I never claim to be the best, but I think I can hold my own...
    [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

If like ace your used to playing with drums then the metronome is not realy needed.The only time i have ever used one is when i was a full time student at the Guitar Institute in London-that was in the early 90's and i havent used one since(or infact bought one)Most of my learing new lines involves using my natural tempo of my brain and right foot that taps out the ryth-then i might push it a lil further past my safety net by playing the same phrase during a solo with drums-
      some use it others dont [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I never use one and I play fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like a second opinion please. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        Ask any of the people who come to my shows and tell me all night how much I shred! Ask anyone in my band. Ask anyone who I've toured with. Ask anyone who's bought my CD's. Ask anyone who I've worked with, either as a guitar tech or as a bandmember or hired gun. I never claim to be the best, but I think I can hold my own...
        [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please provide your references' contact information. I'd like to follow up on this please. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Not a problem!! My MySpace page is a good place to start!!

Ace's MySpace page

Comment

I think it's more important to practice to a backing track with full instrumentation. You'll get the tempo, but also have to deal with fills, snare/kick drum, etc.

Pete

Comment

I will not work with or use a drummer that can not play to a click..

if a drummer can't play to a click track...then he's a hack..IMO

meter is very important....

if you "think" your timing is fine..

try playing one of your own songs you wrote without a metronome...and then play it PERFECTLY to a click track...you may be a little surprised.

Took me four friggin' hours to lay down rythm tracks for four songs to a click ...

I like a real uber-tight "mechanical" sound...when we didn't play to a click...we sounded like a freakin' punk band..

there's a big difference for sure!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yep, i agree with horns. If you're not playing to a metronome, you may be just practicing mistakes- the metronome forces you to play to a steady beat, not what you think is a steady beat. You'd be surprised how common it is for players to speed up for easy parts and lag on more difficult sections (even slightly).
                Sometimes whole bands do this! It will seem fine to them as they play it, but although the audience may not be able to pick out exactly what's wrong, it will make them feel uneasy about the song.
                Some of you may say that this exactly what they want, because it is to do with the feel of the piece, but I've found you can actually get more feeling from emphasising notes within the rigid time structure that a metronome gives, rather than playing completely freely.
                I've also found that simply practicing the same exercises with a metronome gives the biggest improvement for learners (myself included!)

ok, that's that can of worms well stirred...heheh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

my metronome is some good cd to jam along with
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

play with methronome are very good becaouse after few years of play you stay in tempo without this

Comment

Working...
                    X