The "Shredder Pattern"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Shredder Pattern"

I posted this on Harmony Central a while back, so I thought I would share it here, as well.

Others who have posted tips and lessons here have inspired me to do the same. So, I would like to share with you a series of triplets which I call the "shredder pattern." EVERY neoclassical player I've ever seen or heard does this all over the place. Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, Michael Angelo, they all play this in one form or another all the time, BUT.... I haven't yet seen one of these guys point this out as being a pattern. They show them in different licks but don't point out the connection between them.

Please note that instead of tabbing this, I chose to use colored dots because I want you to visually SEE the pattern.

It is:

It may look confusing, but it is only 3 fingering patterns. That's all.

ALL of the notes in this example are played on the first (High E) string. Descending, play the patterns as BLUE, RED, then YELLOW, then repeat on down the fretboard. Ascending, do the opposite, YELLOW, RED, then BLUE. Be sure to use strict alternate picking. NOTE: I'm fully aware of how lame this looks, but I don't know a better way to demonstrate it.

Once you play this a couple of times, you'll clearly see what I'm talking about and be able to apply it anywhere on the fretboard and on any string or combination of strings.

The fingerings are:

Blue: Index, middle, pinky.
    Red: Index, ring, pinky.
    Yellow: Index, middle, pinky.

Again, forget how confusing the above graphic may look. Play this a couple of times and it'll make perfect sense.

The notes are "staggered" so they don't overlap each other. This example is played strictly on the first (E) string, but it can be applied anywhere on the fretboard and across all of the strings.

Good luck!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: The \"Shredder Pattern\"

Hum??? it is me or is the graphic a bit off centered? Sounds like a great idea.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

17-15-14----15-14-12----14-12-10----12-10-9----10-9-7----9--7--5----7--5--4----5--4--2---
      .P...M...I-----P...R...I-----P...M...I------P...M..I-----P..R..I-----P..M..I----P..M..I-----P..R..I.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      MOSH ON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

yeah it took a second to understand but i get ya. lets give this a spin...basically just minor lick on one string. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] what would be the proper scale/mode name for that one?
        Hear the universe scream
        Bleeding from black holes
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

I think every guitarplayer plays that now and then. I can play those triplets pretty good, the 4 per string stuff still eludes me though.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I think every guitarplayer plays that now and then. I can play those triplets pretty good, the 4 per string stuff still eludes me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 note per string takes a lot of practice and I think you have to have longer fingers to do it. And picking speed needs to be developed.

I have practiced different 4 note patterns but they are not typically useful in most music I find. The sound typically has no "feeling" or expression so it has very limited usage unless you have songs written specifically for it.

Yeah it looks impressive and sounds impressive isolated by itself. Sounds fast that is - not musical.

The other thing is the notes go by so fast the listener often does not hear them all.

So I have been gearing my playing towards expression with 3 note speed licks, unusual arpeggios and combinations and every now and then throwing in the 4 note extreme speed stuff.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

A lot of shredders use that on one string.
              17-15-14----15-14-12----14-12-10----12-10-9----10-9-7----9--7--5----7--5--4----5--4--2---

But some players play the same notes, using group of fours, guys from Maiden has done it a lot.

e-17-15-14----15-14-------14----------------------
              b----------17-------17-15----17-15-13-17-15-13----
              g----------------------------------------------16-...etc.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

what that is is descending through the modes starting with the dorian(17-15-14)which is a m7 mode and then goes to an Ionian then lydian....etc etc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  what that is is descending through the modes starting with the dorian(17-15-14)which is a m7 mode and then goes to an Ionian then lydian....etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I suck at theory, so every little bit helps.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

glad i could help

Comment

are you sure its not a aeolien on a single string?
                      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

blimey that pic above is messed up!i would take sides with super shredder with the natural minor single string gymnastics shown here but that depends on what key its played in i love those single string lines when you mix them up note wise for neoclassical I'll see the light type shit hot licks

Comment

Yea man !!
                          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                          X