Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to feel good about your playing? (Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to feel good about your playing? (Long)

Are you in a rut? Do you think you're as good as you'll ever be? Have you reached a plateau? Maxed out on your playing ability?

Guess again.

Here's a trick that a guy showed me in a bus station many years ago. We each had a guitar, so naturally, we took them out and had a conversation while waiting for the next bus. He pointed out something that has always stuck with me. I made a passing comment about, "Remember how the guitar felt the first time you picked it up?"

His response was amazing. He said, "Yeah, it was like THIS." He then proceeded to flip the guitar over to the lefty playing position (he was right-handed, like me).

That's when it struck me; if you want to remind yourself how the guitar initially felt the first time you picked it up -OR- you want an indicator of just how far you've advanced, do this. If you're right-handed, flip it around to the left-handed playing position, or vice-versa if you're a southpaw. The kid who showed me this probably has no idea to this day what a profound statement he was making.

Now let me toss a theory out. All of the top-notch guitarists insist that you must practice slow to gain proper speed and accuracy. For many years, I ignored this advice and practiced fast runs as fast as I could possibly play them. Big mistake. Then one day it hit me. I realized that I had made tremendous gains in the first couple of years of playing, but then the progress seemed to stop. I wondered why. After learning the "flip the guitar over trick," it occurred to me that the reason I had progressed so quickly at first was because I practiced instead of [/b]played![/b] That's right. The first few months or so, when I really couldn't "play" anything yet, was spent on learning how to pick, fret, strum, etc... I made amazing gains. BUT.... once I learned how to actually play some things, my "practice" sessions became just that; playing sessions.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is..... it's great to play. That's why we love it, right? But the difference between playing and practising cannot be overstated.

This idea has inspired me more than anything else within recent memory.
    [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Want to feel good about your playing? (Long)

I have been playing since I was 7. I am in my 40's now.
    Although I am not a professional musician I have seriously practiced because I love playing and am addicted.

I had an original Gibson Firebird when I was 10. I have owned lots of guitars and equipment. I have put thousands of hours into practicing.

I make noticeable progression every 6 months - of course I still practice very seriously.

I do a half hour of just warm up finger and picking exercises every day before I practice other things.

To me guitar playing is like weight lifting. Every day you should try to make your fingers stonger, faster, more accurate, etc... And this takes a practice regimen and dedication - no doubt about it.

Sometimes I get tired of doing things over and over every day. But then when I do jam with musicians or even play along with CD's or record stuff I notice serious progress about every 6 months.

I keep thinking how much better do I need to be really or how much better can I get than this? But I keep on practicing and keep on improving.

You could do this several lifetimes because there is just too much to learn on one lifetime.

Never stop practicing and you will progress - its that simple. I totally agree - just playing will not do it.

Also I agree - I slow down, speed up and go back and forth to improve articulation and clarity. This gives me perspective on the difference of accuracy between top speed and slow speed. Eventually I get as accurate or almost as accurate at top speed. I think this is a crucial process in getting better.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I practice to learn how to play harder songs. And that's how I'll progress. I'm seriously not going to start making schedules for running over all of the different church modes and stuff (eventhough I do know most of them). Atm I just want to have FUN when I play, I'll get into another 'practice your ass off' phase sooner or later, but not right now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I can definitly understand that flip the guitar statement, btw, that's some 'deep' stuff.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well, for me it is enjoyment. After a day of work, I want something to do that is relaxing. For me, that is guitar playing at the moment. So, I don't approach it like it is an exercise. I don't do warm ups, run scales, picking technique practice. I immediately go into just playing...whatever comes to mind. That is generally me improvising pentatonic licks, runs, blues jams..whatever. After about a half hour the hands loosen up and the speed picks up, as does the accuracy and quality of the tone, vibrato, etc. Sometimes the inspiration hits and I will play for a couple of hours and play hard. I have put the guitar down after a couple of hours drenched in sweat from playing. Sometimes it doesn't hit, and the guitar gets put down early. I may come back to it later..or the next day.

For me, it is the sheer joy of playing. I am 35, I have long abandoned my dreams of being a rock star. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, I could play in a bar band, and that would be fun...but it is not a requirement. I just like to hear music coming from my hands. It sounds good to me, and that is all I need.

Lately I have been trying to learn some new stuff because I have certainly been in a stylistic rut for quite some time. I find that I can play much more than I imgained that I could...I just need to put my mind to it. However, I am pretty lazy, so I just don't have the drive to sit down and gut out an entire solo from tab...unless it is really easy and comes naturally.

I have found that I don't need the reassurance of someone else telling me that I am a good player. I know that I am pretty decent, and that there are many, many far superior..and plenty far inferior. I do it because I have always found the sound of the guitar just moves me. I can't explain why...even when I was a small child I was transfixed by the guitar. It will never change.

Rock on,

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Oh yeah, and if I really want to feel good about my playing I will just watch that video of Head playing tribute to Dimebag. That fucker made millions and he plays like that..pathetic.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Are you in a rut? Do you think you're as good as you'll ever be? Have you reached a plateau? Maxed out on your playing ability?

Guess again.

Here's a trick that a guy showed me in a bus station many years ago. We each had a guitar, so naturally, we took them out and had a conversation while waiting for the next bus. He pointed out something that has always stuck with me. I made a passing comment about, "Remember how the guitar felt the first time you picked it up?"

His response was amazing. He said, "Yeah, it was like THIS." He then proceeded to flip the guitar over to the lefty playing position (he was right-handed, like me).

That's when it struck me; if you want to remind yourself how the guitar initially felt the first time you picked it up -OR- you want an indicator of just how far you've advanced, do this. If you're right-handed, flip it around to the left-handed playing position, or vice-versa if you're a southpaw. The kid who showed me this probably has no idea to this day what a profound statement he was making.

Now let me toss a theory out. All of the top-notch guitarists insist that you must practice slow to gain proper speed and accuracy. For many years, I ignored this advice and practiced fast runs as fast as I could possibly play them. Big mistake. Then one day it hit me. I realized that I had made tremendous gains in the first couple of years of playing, but then the progress seemed to stop. I wondered why. After learning the "flip the guitar over trick," it occurred to me that the reason I had progressed so quickly at first was because I practiced instead of [/b]played![/b] That's right. The first few months or so, when I really couldn't "play" anything yet, was spent on learning how to pick, fret, strum, etc... I made amazing gains. BUT.... once I learned how to actually play some things, my "practice" sessions became just that; playing sessions.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is..... it's great to play. That's why we love it, right? But the difference between playing and practising cannot be overstated.

This idea has inspired me more than anything else within recent memory.
            [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautifully said!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

My advice:

1) Fretboard vizualisation, know every note on the fretboard COLD, it is also good to know how all the simple modes and scales realte to each other.

2) Train your ear, develop perfect and relative pitch, then EVERYTHING makes sense to you about music. You can play what ever you want.

3) Vibrato/Bending skill, this is the one thing you must practice all the time, no one wants to hear narrow or out of tune vibrato. This is the most powerful weapon in the guitar player's arsenal. It is good to develop many different types of vibrato. If you have a good vibrato then you just can play one note and everyone thinks that you are somekinda guitar hero.

4) The art of phrasing. Take some time and play just a couple of notes. Combine different melodys etc. Discover all the possibilities how to make memoriable licks with just couple of notes.

5) Be open minded, listen to all types of music (classical, jazz, blues, oriental, new age, pop, traditional etc.) You WILL get TONS of cool ideas.

6) Technique, keep your chops in shape, no one likes sloppy playing. Technique isn't only fast sweep picking and stuff, just simple picking, hammer-ons pull-offs, vibrato etc. are also technique.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks, I've never tried this before, i couldn't even do a 1 2 3 4 chromatic [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a lot of respect for your opinion PowerTube, but I'd have to disagree. The only time I didn't "play" is the few seconds I spend to try to hone (slow it down if I have to, just to make sure I know the notes and finger movements) a lick. If I still can't play the lick correctly and at the right speed I move on. I'd go back to it later, and by then I'd be able to play it.

It has served me great to this day, and my technique has been improving since day one. Although I'd like to point out my tendency to play the same stuff dozens of times when I'm enjoying it. Perhaps that amended it for my lack of solid practice.

I sometimes like to not play for a week or so (just happens, I don't purposely avoid it). When I go back it's always fresh and I usually find my playing has become more solid and mature.

Also, I never find myself in a rut. I guess when I do I move on to other stuff - classical, funk, jazz, finger pickings, flamenco, afro-cuban. slap funk is so much fun to play!

Comment

Good insight advice. Thanks to all. I enjoyed reading it.
                    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Also, I never find myself in a rut. I guess when I do I move on to other stuff - classical, funk, jazz, finger pickings, flamenco, afro-cuban. slap funk is so much fun to play!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's a drawback for me in being a metalhead. I tend to want to play either shred or classical without a whole lot of other styles involved. I do actually toss out a few funk riffs now and then, though, like "Love Rollercoaster" or some James Brown.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                      X