Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right hand hammer-on (tapping) technique questions

Questions...

When you guys use your right hand to hammer-on/pull off (tap), does your tapping finger hammer-on and pull-off up (towards your head) or down (towards the floor)?

If you tap down, do you ever have a problem "pulling" the high E string "off" the neck?

Do you tap "bent" strings the same way you tap "non-bent" strings?

And lastly, do you think there are advantages to your method versus other methods?

Thanks in advance for your replies... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Right hand hammer-on (tapping) technique questions

Down, no problems pulling the high E string off the neck, yes, well it works for me.

There's a video of me playing hot for teacher in the MP3 section that has a lot of tapping on it. You might get an idea from seeing how I do it.

Pete

Comment

Deffinitly down, and you dont really have to pull of that hard for it to sound. One thing you should make sure you do (IMHO) is to tap with your second finger (or third, or fourth) but dont be fumbling around switching between your pick and first finger, its a waste of motion. Definitly check out Twister's hot for teacher clip for a little "how-to"....and good luck, take your time!
      [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Re: Right hand hammer-on (tapping) technique quest

Up towards my head, that way I can pick a downstroke right away in time. I use my middle finger, and no I don't pull the strings off the neck. Unless that's the sound I am going for. When tapping bent strings, you just gotta remember that they aren't gonna be in the same place when you go to hit them with your right hand...

My way works fine for me, I'm sure Pete's works fine for him. It's all a matter of what you are most comfortable and proficient with.

Comment

Method shmethod - find your own style that works for you [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I pull off the string directly away from the neck with little or no side to side motion.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pete,

At the risk of sounding retarded, I could only find the audio file (which was absolutely smoking!) of you playing Hot For Teacher - not the video...

Can you please send me the link to the video?

Thanks... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Eli

Comment

I'm going to redo the hot for teacher video file with another guitar, maybe this sunday. I'm out of town right now. Once I redo it I'll post the new file.

Pete

Comment

Hey eli, I just emailed you Pete's video.
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Great, now I'll be accused of sending video spam through another JCF member. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

j/k, thanks Mark. I'm still going to recut the vid though with a different guitar and repost it though. Maybe I can play it right this time. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Pete -

Holy cow - that video SMOKES!!!

I'll be watching that one more than a few times...

I'll also look for your other videos in the MP3 section...

GREAT, GREAT playing...

Thanks... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Great, now I'll be accused of sending video spam through another JCF member. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

j/k, thanks Mark. I'm still going to recut the vid though with a different guitar and repost it though. Maybe I can play it right this time. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If playing like you is wrong, I don't wanna be right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Mark - you might want to reconsider that. The nancy boy who bitched about my 'video spam' also intimated that my playing sucked too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Yeah what in god's name happened to your thread with the vid. That video blew my friggin' monitor up, it was so dang hot! And your guidelines to the licks were handy as hell! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words GOR - I'll repost it soon. I cut it last night with my ESP, but didn't have time to compress the video file. The original thread got a little pissy - hopefully the wanker who decided to give me grief in that thread can shut his trap for a bit.

Pete

Comment

I wish you could say those brave words to my face Pete-but seeing as this is the internet you can pretend to be a big boy knowing your safe behind your monitor.
                              Your orignal spam vid thread must have been deleted by you or the mods here because you seem to do vids of guitars you are trying to sell.As i mentioned you dont show anyone any respect here by checking out there tunes,your a selfish merchant banker.Why not be a good lil lad and fuck off [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X