Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Practice With or Without.......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Practice With or Without.......................

distortion? I find practicing clean to be much better for my technique and kicking on the distortion after learning a cool lick adds icing to the cake. Anyone beg to differ? If you practice clean or distorted, why do you practice that way?

Re: To Practice With or Without...................

First what style of music is one desiring to learn?

If hard rock, then I suggest the following based on my experience teaching and playing:

Turn up the volume loud enough ( not ripping concert loud) and dial in enough distortion. You can better hear all the string noise and etc. Helps in pointing the indivdual in the right direction to be a "cleaner" player. Also, helps a great in learning and mastering muting techniques. No better way to hear the muting than with some distortion and some volume. There are just some things that are better learned and developed with some volume and distortion.

If one is learning a lick with the intention only to learn the notes, the neither would be a necessity, then do it unplugged. Sound becomes pointless if this is the preffered.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

When working on "technique type" licks and stuff, I play clean, because I want to hear everything I'm doing (or not doing). But when I'm practicing stuff like songs for our band, it's with distortion. I've been working on my hammers ons and pulloffs and stuff (this months Guitar One) and I do all of that clean. I guess it's whatever you personally prefer. There's not a right or wrong I don't think. JMO

Comment

I feel the same way as Soap, distortion to hear every sound that your guitar is making.

Comment

Depends on what I'm practicing - if I'm working on the phrasing of a given pattern, I'll try it either way. Sometimes you end up with an entire melody line by phrasing a scalar pattern a certain way, other times you come up with a good riff (for non-solo use) using the same pattern but different phrasing.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I tend to practice with the same type tone I'm going to be using when I'm going to play the song... bad thing about practicing clean is that you don't have to watch your muting techniques, and you might get it down pretty well and be noisy as hell from unwanted strings ringing out. A guitar with a lot of volume and gain is a lot harder to keep quiet 'in between the notes' than a clean tone anyday.

Pete

Comment

If you're going to play both... practice both.

Comment

I'm with Pete. I play both, but if your gonna play with distortion for real, may as well practice that way!! A stage-loud guitar with heavy distortion is WAY different than play than sitting around noodling around on your clean channel in your bedroom. My guitar at stage levels is like a wild animal on a leash. Give it an inch and it will run right over you. However, if I want to work strictly on melody, clean tube amps are the best. One of my favorite amps to play in our shop is a Fender Pro Junior. 15 tube watts of clean, warm, round perfection...

Comment

Practicing clean is very good to hear the subtle differences in the way you attack and grab notes and to build a clear, clean playing of a lick.

But you NEED to practice just as much in distortion, because playing a lick in distortion requires muting/damping of strings, an AH here and there, etc...

Two different beasts, one goal: good playing.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I practice with clean, mild distortion and heavy distortion so I can me sure that I'm doing everything correctly.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I always practice clean. I can always hear other strings ringing into each other, and all string noise whilst playing clean.

Besides, distortion becomes like a bonus when I'm done practicing and I'm just messing around. TO me, there's no feeling like nailing that lick at my goal speed and then cranking up the gain and shredding away.

Comment

You're all correct. For left/right hand coordination and picking technique, clean is the way to go. But.... since playing distorted is like playing a whole new instrument, you have to be able to handle that, as well.

I like for my distorted sound to be very clean and defined with no "fuzz" in there.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          If you're going to play both... practice both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Go back and forth. Get it clean without distortion then try to get it just as clean with distortion.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well, generally when I "practice", I am trying to achieve a certain tone as much as I am trying to improve my skills, or learn something. Therefore, if it is something distorted, it gets played distorted...if it is a clean piece, then clean. If you are just noodling around, I guess any would apply.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

lol...i don't usually practice with an amp at all...lol...my picking hand is loud enough to make the strings ring where i can hear them...and i do a lot of practicing on an acoustic with horrible action too...makes the electric seem so much easier to play when i get around to it...lol...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                              X