how to structure my practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to structure my practice?

Blazphemer: So fluidity is what you want. Ahhh........

I had the same issue for YEARS. Yep - knew licks, tricks, lots of speed, etc... but could not put it together.

If someone had a song based in F# min I was screwed because I could not smoothly transpose.

So here is how I solved that problem - and it took me about 2 years of practice to do it by the way... I downloaded Instab off of Harmony-Central.
    Then I started writing my favorite licks down - ones that I made up myself. Then I would transpose them from Em to Am to Bm. 2 things happened. 1) I developed my own sound and style - which is the best thing that happened and 2) If you have a song in F or G# or whatever I can transpose in the blink of an eye and sound just as good no matter what key - playing my stuff and sounding like me.

I don't think of keys or licks or notes anymore. I just find the key and follow the music now. The only thing I think about is how do I want this particular part to sound - major? minor? harmonic? diminished? etc...

Also take things and play them in different ways all over the fretboard. This is key. Learn how to play a lick or arpeggio in 4 different positions. For example I can run an arpeggio all over and do it using 3 4 5 or 6 strings - all up and down and also string skip it if I want to. I change them - first doing an arpeggio one way ascending and then descending in a different patter but same arpeggio.

Play your modes not just in a single position but also diagonally both ways. Find the root notes so you can pause and use vibrato.

But this stuff takes a lot of thought and time - it is not easy and takes dedication. Sometimes I would get tired because it involves a lot of pain in the ass thinking.

Once you do the above in regular major/minor scale start experimenting with adding notes - flat 5th, chromatic, insert major blues licks, etc... This will expand your sound and style.

Warm up exercises are as important as any of the above. Constantly work on improving your finger dexterity, strength and picking technique - alternate and "hybrid" or whatever you want to call it. 50/50 left hand/right hand development. Like weightlifting only for your fingers and forearms. Search out and develop the exercises - there are many many excellent ones out there available on the net for free.

Get back to us in 5 to 10 years - seriously though this will take some time.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster
      Blazphemer: So fluidity is what you want. Ahhh........

I had the same issue for YEARS. Yep - knew licks, tricks, lots of speed, etc... but could not put it together.

If someone had a song based in F# min I was screwed because I could not smoothly transpose.

So here is how I solved that problem - and it took me about 2 years of practice to do it by the way... I downloaded Instab off of Harmony-Central.
      Then I started writing my favorite licks down - ones that I made up myself. Then I would transpose them from Em to Am to Bm. 2 things happened. 1) I developed my own sound and style - which is the best thing that happened and 2) If you have a song in F or G# or whatever I can transpose in the blink of an eye and sound just as good no matter what key - playing my stuff and sounding like me.

I don't think of keys or licks or notes anymore. I just find the key and follow the music now. The only thing I think about is how do I want this particular part to sound - major? minor? harmonic? diminished? etc...

Also take things and play them in different ways all over the fretboard. This is key. Learn how to play a lick or arpeggio in 4 different positions. For example I can run an arpeggio all over and do it using 3 4 5 or 6 strings - all up and down and also string skip it if I want to. I change them - first doing an arpeggio one way ascending and then descending in a different patter but same arpeggio.

Play your modes not just in a single position but also diagonally both ways. Find the root notes so you can pause and use vibrato.

But this stuff takes a lot of thought and time - it is not easy and takes dedication. Sometimes I would get tired because it involves a lot of pain in the ass thinking.

Once you do the above in regular major/minor scale start experimenting with adding notes - flat 5th, chromatic, insert major blues licks, etc... This will expand your sound and style.

Warm up exercises are as important as any of the above. Constantly work on improving your finger dexterity, strength and picking technique - alternate and "hybrid" or whatever you want to call it. 50/50 left hand/right hand development. Like weightlifting only for your fingers and forearms. Search out and develop the exercises - there are many many excellent ones out there available on the net for free.

Get back to us in 5 to 10 years - seriously though this will take some time.

thanks for the reply

today i'm gonna sit down and try to work out a practice plan.
      Guitars:
      Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
      Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
      Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
      BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
      ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

Originally posted by Blazphemer
        thanks for the reply

today i'm gonna sit down and try to work out a practice plan.

1 year and 2 months later

Comment

Originally posted by slash
          1 year and 2 months later
          yeah im a bit slow, i know!
          Guitars:
          Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
          Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
          Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
          BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
          ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

In general structure your practice in 2 basic areas - actual mechanics of playing - finger strength and accuracy, muting, etc...

Second area would be learning to connect the dots as I call it using various scales.

I would go 1/2 hour warmup which would cover the mechanics aspect, 1 hour working with scales and the last 1/2 hour learning something new or jamming.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
            X