Making Backing Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Backing Tracks

I am currently in the process of entering some songs into Guitar Pro to practice with. I have started to add some bass and drums tracks to the guitar parts but they are very dry.

Does anyone have any tips on creating your own backing tracks with drums and bass?

I am currently working on Dokken's Kiss of Death.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Re: Making Backing Tracks

Jack, you can find a whole boatload of Guitar Pro files on http://www.mysongbook.com. I use them when practicing at my computer. I learn the guitar parts, then mute the guitar tracks and what I'm left with is a usable backing track.

Watch out for popups on MySongBook though... that's what people tell me, although I never see any myself because I'm behind a million layers of internet protection. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I do use mysongbook quite regularly but I wanted to practice with some songs that aren't available. Kiss of Death being one of them. I have created most of the guitar parts from a combination of sources and wanted to add drums and bass to round it out.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Oh good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you also find a MIDI file of a song you want, you can import it into Guitar Pro and it will transcribe it for you as well. But you probably already knew that so I'm gonna shut the heck up now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what I do is just use the already created files, mute the cheesy guitar and other instruments and record the individual tracks of those into Sonar 4. Before that I was using Guitar Tracks Pro 2 and 3. I primarily just used the bass and drum sounds. I give them teir own tracks so I can add effects, delat reverb, EQ etc to them as needed.

I REALLY want to learn how to do my own drums so I can get back to recording originals instead of covers but I admit at this point I'm a MIDIot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd like to learn Drumkit from hell superior but I'm an impatient man and I dont want to spend 250 on an app that I get frustrated with and say screw it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

MIDI Drums will force you to learn all the "tech" stuff about music if you don't already know it by heart - time signatures, note durations, etc.

Best advice I can give on manually entering them into something like Guitar Pro or a drum machine - start with the Hi-Hat. Nail that all the way through before you do any other drums. Once you get it, go back and add the snare and bass drums. Add the tom fills and cymbals last.

Also, since you're using Guitar Pro, be sure to select the proper Dynamics for a given part (mezzo piano, fortissimo, etc). This is where the "phrasing" is determined. You can totally change the feel of a standard 4/4 time 1/4 note bar by putting the dynamics (accent) on different notes/hits.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Very true Newc... only recently have I grown a real appreciation for drummers by using Guitar Pro. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then I went and sat behind a drumkit for the first time in my life, and man, was it hard to coordinate my limbs or what? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

An example of the lack of drum dynamics ruining a song is some of the "Run To The Hills" GP files... the intro sounds HORRIBLE when they're all accented the same. Hit those open hi-hats HARDER dammit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                MIDI Drums will force you to learn all the "tech" stuff about music if you don't already know it by heart - time signatures, note durations, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell wants to learn?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell wants to learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Musicians do, guitarists don't.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have no problem learning and shedding my MIDIot status, I just want an app that is easy to use and easy to bring into Sonar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The DFHS takes a major chunk of memory just to run, previou versions need a gig of ram just for the app
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X