No announcement yet.

Anyone have this song writing problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have this song writing problem?

I can't start a decent song for crap, but if my friend shows me a song in Tabit and I complete it and make it freaking awesome. I just need something to start out with and I can move the song.

When I write from scratch it ends up sucking for the most part.

Re: Anyone have this song writing problem?

Some people just work best in teams...find someone you work well with(your friend)and stick with it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Eventually you may find your niche to writing alone if you keep at it.
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Comment

thats some fine advise

Comment

Yup. Collaboration is just as important as being a "self-starter". There's some people that just can't "fit in" with what someone else starts, so being one who can take an idea and run with it is a great skill to have.

Best way to come up with your own stuff is to spin off someone else's stuff (Sabbath, Maiden, etc).

Another good trick (which I have yet to actually put into practice) is to get the lyrics to a song you've never heard, and put your own riffs to them. I used to read Megadeth's lyrics before hearing the CD, and riffs would come to me, and they turned out to be quite different from what was on the CD, but I never did anything about it. Once you hear the song, though, it's gone.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Try recording yourslef for a while and play it back. A lot of times hearing something without playing it will give you a whole different feel to a riff and may inspire something.

Matt

Comment

I work best on my own..I never have a problem coming up with riffs that kick total ass..

I think this has a lot to do that I was never a cover guitarist..

I always fully concentrated just doing my thing and never worry about what anyone else is doing..

Like Ynwie..there is already one Yngwie and about a thousand sound a likes and wannabes..so I have ZERO interest to know how he play his licks..even tho I do love his music.

I love EVH..but I never sat down and learned anything note for note..I can do a wicked eruption..but all by ear and memory..there is already one Ed and a zillion wannabes...so I don't want it to be one Zillion and one.

Let someone try to learn my shit..yeah..good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I trow a bunch of riffs on tape and give it to my singer..he arranges them to fit what he needs it to be..and it works out fine..it's not even much of an effort...when it's an effort...your trying to hard..just let it come naturaly..the coolest songs are the ones I never had to really work at.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a ton of good stuff with just guitar but i can't write lyrics for crap, my best friend and drummer together we can come up with some cool stuff but we work in groups of threes, me him and his ex used write awesome songs with lyrics but she moved and we are in a rut.
              This space for rent

Comment

In my band we find if we try really hard to make a song from scratch we can NEVER do it. But when we just start randomly doing are own thing and just jamming one us us come out with a good riff and we get the ball rolling and can't stop!

Comment

Working...
                X