Bending & String Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending & String Noise

Hey everyone, I'm having a slight problem with string noise and strings ringing whenever I bend or release a note. I have been facing this problem for quite some time now so I was wondering if you would be able to describe the way you mute the strings when you're making a bend in order to prevent them from ringing. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Bending & String Noise

There are 2 places that you should mute from......the left hand (fretting hand) fingers that arent fretting the notes, and right hand palm over the strings. The idea is to use the fingers of the left hand to mute the strings above the note being bended, and likewise the palm to mute the notes below. For the release....you need to make sure that your bending hand doesnt catch-on, and pull-off the strings that you hit when you bend up. If they do the will most likely ring out, regardless of how well you mute. A good excersise is to practice a bend and release into a pull-off. This forces you to mute or it sounds like shit......hope some of what i said helps............ [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

check out this clip to see if it helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.justinjohnwakely.com/cont...rato_Ideas.WMV

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        There are 2 places that you should mute from......the left hand (fretting hand) fingers that arent fretting the notes, and right hand palm over the strings. The idea is to use the fingers of the left hand to mute the strings above the note being bended, and likewise the palm to mute the notes below. For the release....you need to make sure that your bending hand doesnt catch-on, and pull-off the strings that you hit when you bend up. If they do the will most likely ring out, regardless of how well you mute. A good excersise is to practice a bend and release into a pull-off. This forces you to mute or it sounds like shit......hope some of what i said helps............ [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        Thanks! That's actually what I do. The thing is, I can never mute the string directly below the one where I'm playing. Is all the right hand muting really done with the palm or is part of it done with your thumb as well?
        I'm going to try releasing the bends into pull-offs as you suggested. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          check out this clip to see if it helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.justinjohnwakely.com/cont...rato_Ideas.WMV

[/ QUOTE ]
          Thanks! I'm downloading it now, I'll reply again as soon as I see it! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

/* EDIT */
          Thanks man, it does help! Really nice playing too! Is it you?

I'll practice it again tomorrow. I stopped playing for a really long time and I restarted a few days ago. I spent several hours practising my bends today so I've got blisters on my fingers now. :P

But hey, one thing. How exactly do you mute the lower strings? Is it all done with the palm or do you mute some of them with your thumb?

Comment

yeahh its me mate

you can mute the lower strings with either right hand palm muting(as light or heavy ass you want to mute)or the other fingers on the fretting hands that will touch lightly the unplayed strings near the fretted strings

Practise your bending/vibrato chops plugged into an amp set on moderate gain and volume so you realy have to mute otherwise it just gets messy the more volume you dial in

perhaps you could downtune slightly for less tension that would mean less friction/stress on your fingers and easier bends and wider vibrato

But above all just keep playing,the more you play the better the bending becomes

Comment

I always take the string above (well below, actually) the one I'm actually bending, like bending a double stop or so, but only hit the one I'm intending to bend. This makes sure it's out of the way.

Making sure it doesn't ring out when you release both strings takes a couple of minutes of practice, but the rewards are vast.

Of course this isn't applicable to fast runs/bends.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                yeahh its me mate

you can mute the lower strings with either right hand palm muting(as light or heavy ass you want to mute)or the other fingers on the fretting hands that will touch lightly the unplayed strings near the fretted strings

Practise your bending/vibrato chops plugged into an amp set on moderate gain and volume so you realy have to mute otherwise it just gets messy the more volume you dial in

perhaps you could downtune slightly for less tension that would mean less friction/stress on your fingers and easier bends and wider vibrato

But above all just keep playing,the more you play the better the bending becomes

[/ QUOTE ]
                Awesome stuff man! Great video! Do you have any more of those? :P

I'll give this another try today, my fingers are back in shape again.

About the down-tuning - I don't think that'll be required. My fingers will be used to this tension in a couple of days. They're only like this because I stopped playing for over a year. Also, I don't really like to use light gauges. I much prefer using 10's for E tuning and 11's for D tuning. I find that the tone gets a LOT better than with 9's.

Comment

have a few other lesson vids on my website mate,also try out a good friend of mine chad
                  www.chadcoggin.com

he has some realy good lessons,I use 9's on some of my guitars and 10's on others-tone wise with my gear and fingers they sound the same.Shouldnt take long to get your fingers back to normal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    have a few other lesson vids on my website mate,also try out a good friend of mine chad
                    www.chadcoggin.com

he has some realy good lessons,I use 9's on some of my guitars and 10's on others-tone wise with my gear and fingers they sound the same.Shouldnt take long to get your fingers back to normal

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Thanks, he has some great videos there!
                    As for my fingers, they're better already, thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Use your picking fingers to mute unwanted strings as well. This allows you to do reinforced bends (pushing the bend with your ring and middle fretting fingers instead of just one).

Just remember to pull the pick out of the way when you do mute the adjacent strings [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Use your picking fingers to mute unwanted strings as well. This allows you to do reinforced bends (pushing the bend with your ring and middle fretting fingers instead of just one).

Just remember to pull the pick out of the way when you do mute the adjacent strings [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I think that I'm getting the hang of it now! Thanks for the help everyone! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, I have been practising this for a few days and I seem to have solved some of my noise problems. However, there is one problem that persists no matter what I try. Adjacent strings always make this *thump* sound whenever I release a bend. They don't really ring since I have them muted but they still make this annoying sound. It gets specially annoying when I'm applying vibrato after a bend. I have been trying to release the bends as slowly as possible but I just can't seem to get rid of it. They always make that sound as soon as my fingertip stops touching them. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X