Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: on the verge of quitting guitar...

[ QUOTE ]
    hahaha ok i get it!! but i'll have to disagree about never being steve vai...practise does make perfect...and anyone can get there...it just depends on the amount of dedication...and i think i just answered my own post..i feel stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could practice 24 hours a day and never be Steve Vai...only Steve Vai can be Steve Vai. It is more than practice that makes one as great as that...it is natural ability, talent and that "something" that sets him apart from the other 99% of players.

Practice and be yourself, that is what matters....forge your own style.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

what Mike just said, you'll never be Vai, or Eddie or Jimi or Lynch and so on.

You can practice your ass off, you might have a better technique than Yngwie but it impossible to be so influental guitar hero as all those greats were. NO ONE can be as good as them, WHY? because all the music is done allready, there isn't anything new to discover, just play what you like, write some great songs and see what happends next.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

What? You mean I'm not Lynch. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Crap, I bought his guitar and use the same gear and equipment he does. I thought if I did that I would sound just like Lynch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

The things that helped me the most over the years were 1. good teacher 2. Troy Stetinas Speed Mechanics for Guitar 3. and persistence. I think everyone gets into slumps every now and then, you just need to try new things and inspire yourself, anyone can get better over time...

Comment

Just give up playing guitar and start collecting stamps, they are easier.. bwhahahahah [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

I second the speed mechanics. Seriously though, take a break and then come back and give it a shot with a vengeance. If you feel the same way after some serious practice, give it up and find something that does make you happy.
              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                get into some different music.
                I got into some fusion about 6 months ago (Greg Howe, Ritchie Kotzen,Michael Lee Firkins)
                And my playing has taken off. I was previously only playing
                stuff like 80's metal, EVH,Dockken,Ratt, Ozzy etc, then I
                got into Satriani and I mean Big into Satriani and that
                brought my playing up, and now the fusion has really opened my eyes, ears and hands to new phrasing, use of modes etc.
                Stop playing stuff that's "comfortable" and learn some new
                different techniques.
                It just sounds to me like you're in a rut. time to grow, not time to quit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick is correct. He has gotten me into some new stuff and I notice a difference. The big thing is to force yourself to learn hard stuff. There a re a ton of really good guitar players in a ton of styles. Pick a different style (I would actually suggest more than one) and start learning. The net if full of tabs. Sounds like you are a metel guy. There are plenty of us here, but Metallica etc. are cool (I was in a Metallica cover bad for a while recently and it was a blast), but the solos are not that impressive. Try Testement (The New Order with Alex Skolnick) and any Megadeth with Marty Friedman. Heavy and shreds IMHO.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

why don't you learn how to write a tune. i thought this was my biggest gift. then again, it was always after a shot of dope. i'm quitting also, as i have no choice in the matter.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

you always have a choice-dont choose to quit!

Comment

and you can be better than anyone if your prepared to put the hours in!vai/malmsteen and the likes are not gods there mortal just like us.the big diference is they put BIG HOURS practise time in there when most of us where down the pubs chasing birds and getting wasted

Comment

i put the hours in alright, i just have not a drop of fukkin money for a guitar. i quit, done, toast, history.
                        i put more hours than i can remember in. i also am broke.
                        it's either crime, or quit.

Comment

If you decide to quit playing, then never mind my comment here. But if you are like me, feeling stuck at a dead end with your playing, there are a few things that might help.

You mentioned wanting to playing CoB-style stuff and instead coming up with Hamerfall riffs. Well, do you have something to record yourself with? Record those riffs, and then solo over them. If you have a metronome, play at a speed that you can handle accurately, and as you get more comfortable, increase the BPMs. I'm not a "shredder" by an stretch of the imagination, but I often found that it was my picking technique rather than my left-hand dexterity that caused me to play sloppy. I recently got a used laptop for recording on, loaded an old version of Cakewalk, and plugged in a Johnson J-Station and headphones. I record to a click track and play back the results with the click still running. If the results are sloppy, I turn down the BPMs a little and try again. Once I'm playing accurately, I bump the tempo back up.
                          sigpic

Comment

i have 2- 20 gig hard drives for laptops if you wantone for free, and if the one ion yours is too small. just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                            X