on the verge of quitting guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: on the verge of quitting guitar...

8 HOURS A DAY?! shitters!!! i also happen to be in med-school so the most i can pull off is 2 hours, that too on my BEST day. well yeah, i am in a rut and really bored of the style ive gotten comfortable with. guess i will have to learn some theory and work on my right hand even more...but its frustratoing as hell man!! i mean i lose patience easily...gone are the days when i would spend an entire summer learning the master of puppets solo lol!! then again that was many years ago heheh..anyway, will take all ure advices, thanks alot.

Comment

get into some different music.
      I got into some fusion about 6 months ago (Greg Howe, Ritchie Kotzen,Michael Lee Firkins)
      And my playing has taken off. I was previously only playing
      stuff like 80's metal, EVH,Dockken,Ratt, Ozzy etc, then I
      got into Satriani and I mean Big into Satriani and that
      brought my playing up, and now the fusion has really opened my eyes, ears and hands to new phrasing, use of modes etc.
      Stop playing stuff that's "comfortable" and learn some new
      different techniques.
      It just sounds to me like you're in a rut. time to grow, not time to quit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Playing music to me is a joy whether I'm playing a 3-chord classic rocker or going meedley-meedley as fast as I can. So I'll go against the rest here and say go ahead and quit if you're not enjoying it. No need to get worked up over it. Go find something that brings you joy.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I'm thinking the same thing. If it ain't fun, why are you doing it?
          Walk away from it for a while...you may be amazed at what you'll come up with when you are fresh and excited to play again.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Playing music to me is a joy whether I'm playing a 3-chord classic rocker or going meedley-meedley as fast as I can. So I'll go against the rest here and say go ahead and quit if you're not enjoying it. No need to get worked up over it. Go find something that brings you joy.

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1 Put the guitar down and walk away, forget about it, you'll be happier for it. Huh, why are you telling me this? Because at a later date after doing something else for awhile, if you really want to play, you will come back to it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You should quit.
              As already said, you got to like/love it to stick with it.
              So, if you don't like it you should quit.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

i just started playing again, i was under the spell that i play better under the influence, but i just got used to playing under the influence. i am still convinced i play better whacked, and come up with more tunes whacked, but after a 2and a half year lay off, i am fairly quickly getting back my control of the instrument. i love music too much not to keep makingit. i strictly practice chops, and making my own tunes, i ditched playing other peoples tunes a long long time ago. you have to start out that way, but then i branchd off and made my own tunes. unfortunately they sounded very much like my hero's tunes so i can't say i really have my own style in the end, but i don't play other people's music anymore and haven't for a long time, maybe you should make your own music.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

i recommend one of the first 2 1/2 albums from Mercyful Fate. "the Beginning", "Melissa", and "Don't Break the Oath". it would be a good break up from the manotony of shred and powermetal. (not that we don't love that.) it looks like you've got your lead tricks that your comfortable with and sounds to me like you are just burned out on the style you are playing. learn some of these old MF songs. i think they would be a good insperational attribute to YOUR heavy metal guitar approach. not just listening to them. but learning to play both guitar parts and how the work with each other, and weave with the bass guitar, it will open you up to new approaches in heavy metal guitar. the same can be said for Thin Lizzy. between styles like Thin Lizzy, Merciful Fate, shred bands, and Dugga Dugga, you'll be inspired to rock hard, and write some killer shit!

but this is coming from a fan of metal. and a sloppy rythme guitar player.

a teacher is allways a good idea.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

hehehe thanks...yeah im def going to check out mercyful fate and them oter bands...but i could never stand mercyful fate's singer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] or was that king diamond that sounded like mickey mouse on crack?

Comment

Yeah,you need to walk away for a little while.It sounds like it's in your blood,so you will be back.Just don't sell your gear,you will regret it! ( Trust Me ).Plus,put some fun into it.As soon as I realized that I was taking it to serious,doors opened and the fun began!!RELAX............
                      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

king diamond is the singer for mercyful fate. if you don't like him, just tune him out and listen to the music... then he will start to grow on you and you will absolutely love him! king is all about passion in his vocals. he converts what the music is making him feel like in to vocal melodies. and these range from creepy ghostly demonic to ball to the wall falcetto.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have been playing for almost 20 fucking years and I can't sweep at all motherfucker...so don't whine to me that you can "only" sweep the same arpeggios over and over again!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can play two scales, the Minor Pentatonic and the Blues Scale...which means I can play ONE scale.

I play the same licks over and over again, I have not progressed much in about 10 years.

I put it down, pick it up...whatever. It is a guitar. I am not a Professional and never will be.

I can play my fucking ass off when I am stoned or mildly drunk...at least it sounds that way to me..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Loosen up, man...you ain't gonna be Steve Vai EVER....EVER.

Enjoy playing it, or enjoy smashing it to a pulp.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

BTW, if you do smash anything to a pulp pleas capture it on video and post it.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What Chuck and Tim said is sometimes needed

"Walk away from it for a while...you may be amazed at what you'll come up with when you are fresh and excited to play again. "

It has worked for me. Also, another member here gave me excellent advice. He encouraged me to play and learn outside of my usual style. Ever play swing guitar? Jazz? Find something different to break up the routine. Something about playing outside your usual that opens the mind up
                              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

hahaha ok i get it!! but i'll have to disagree about never being steve vai...practise does make perfect...and anyone can get there...it just depends on the amount of dedication...and i think i just answered my own post..i feel stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X