any metal singers here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any metal singers here

how does one get his voice to be on the level of bruce dickenson, geoff tate, rob halford, don dokken, ect.

Like that high up there stuff thats all over 80's metal. I think i can get up there, but my voice just sounds god awful, and i cant sustain notes for that long, anybody got any suggestions?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: any metal singers here

don't smoke...lol...to be honest take vocal lessons...an experienced vocalist can help you pull a lot out of your voice you might have trouble unlocking yourself...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

The same way you get good at guitar. Practice a lot. You said you can get up there already that's half the battle

Comment

I used to sub in at a local Maiden tribute band's rehearsals when their real singer couldn't make it. It ain't easy and after a rehearsal my voice was shot. I know I am no singer but it was fun. I enjoy singing like that and if I were younger, like you, I would go and get singing lessons.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

thanks for the tips, practice and vocal coach has shown up in a lot of suggestions, so i think im going to have to go find a vocal coach.

Comment

You going to sing and play lead? I'm thinking about trying that myself this summer if I can practice enough before then to be decent.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              You going to sing and play lead? I'm thinking about trying that myself this summer if I can practice enough before then to be decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully i can get to the point where i can write entire songs by myself with vocals without any help from bandmembers. (my band is being pretty worthless right now).

Comment

I used to sing in a hair band called Luv Rokit back in high school. Singing lessons are good. To be honest, we were sitting around listening to old Slayer records at the time and I just starting singing along with the high stuff. I think it was the first scream off the first song from the first album. My buddies heard it and decided we should start a hair band and cover some tunes. We played the following songs;

1. The Transformers theme song from the movie
                2. Breakin the Law by Priest... we actually the name of the song from Framing O.J based on an old Dana Carvey skit. It was a funny tune.
                3. Talk Dirty To Me-Poison
                4. Every Rose Has it's Thorn-same band. I used to bring a girl up onstage, sit her down, and I we would play this one for her..it never actually gave us what we wanted, but can you blame a guy for trying?
                5. A medley of 80's tunes. I think one of them was Beat It.
                6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Practice and use lots of diaphragm (sp)
                Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

like playing the guitar, always warm up, always warm down, there are stretching exercises to be done to increase range.
                  It's just practice really, all the myths regarding "your born with it or not" is a quite the bit of BS.

I use the Vocal Release stuff, and it works pretty well, but speaking for myself the best way I learn is with someone who can show it to me and sometimes correct me when I'm wrong.

http://www.vocalrelease.com/

I also found that singing along sometimes will be good training too, but it won't help your pitch!
                  At the Dio concert 2 weeks ago I sang my heart at along with some tunes, at one point some people were looking like "DAMN" [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  that was really cool [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                  just keep at it!!

good luck... Rune.

Comment

So do vocal/singing lessons actually help people that can't sing?? I would love to front a band but I can't sing for sh!t [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X