Sweep picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep picking

I need to score a DVD on sweep picking. Any suggestions?
    I have no problems sweeping up or down but I just can't get the hammered or pulled off notes to sound as smooth as I would like. If anybody has suggestions on which DVD to get or has one to sell, let me know.
    BTW.. I am totally immersed in Eric Johnson's instructional DVD. Holy crap is he a great player. I am learning a ton of stuff that is actually useable.

Re: Sweep picking

If you can sweep now and you want to add the hammer on and pull offs. Just go slower till you get it down.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      If you can sweep now and you want to add the hammer on and pull offs. Just go slower till you get it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me.. its much easier to learn specific techniques with a DVD. I understand the mechanics of an 8 note ascending arpeggio. I am just missing something.

Comment

Rustey Cooley might have something... check out his site.

Comment

don't you just love noobs.......lol, have you tryed chopsfromhell.com? lots of Cooley, etc.

Comment

Frank Gambale's Monster licks has a whole section on it.
            Michale Lee Firkins had a video out if you can find it that had the best demonstrations of sweeping and tapping together that I've ever seen.
            that's a great video but tough to find
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I was looking at Frank Gambale's video. I have been on chopsfromhell many times. Lots of good stuff on that site.

Comment

BTW Which Eric Johnson Video are you referring too?
                I think I need to get into him a little bit .
                he's always been one of those great players that are just off of my radar, so I never spent any time learning his stuff.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Eric Johnson: Total Electric Guitar
                  It has a real good 1/2 speed section that you can loop by clicking on the loop feature on the DVD. He doesn't go over any of his songs. Its all about his style and his influences. That is what I like about it. I don't want to learn any of his songs. I just want to incorporate his style into mine. This DVD is perfect for that.

Comment

Get the Guitar chapter by michael romeo....its really good
                    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

is it an instructional DVD??

Comment

I don't sweep as much as I used to because everyone can do it now aways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The best thing for me was just learing pieces that had some major sweeping in it.

I also think everyone is stronger going one way or the other. I had to work hard on the up sweeps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Since I don't do them very often I still have to work on it when I wanna do them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I haven't seen that EJ DVD but what I got from him was string skipping like he did in Cliffs of Dover, I use it all the time and it never gets old [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I don't sweep as much as I used to because everyone can do it now aways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The best thing for me was just learing pieces that had some major sweeping in it.

I also think everyone is stronger going one way or the other. I had to work hard on the up sweeps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Since I don't do them very often I still have to work on it when I wanna do them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I haven't seen that EJ DVD but what I got from him was string skipping like he did in Cliffs of Dover, I use it all the time and it never gets old [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My most used ripped off technique is pedal tones that I got from Malmsteen and Roth. I love Eric Johnsons style though. It is very logical and melodic. I like his use of harmonics and I agree.. his string skipping is as good as it gets.

Comment

maybe it's not your cup of tea, and it's not an instructional dvd, but check out jeff loomis' stuff (nevermore of course)....i think guitar world has a few issues dedicated to his stuff, very nice. check out the psalm of lydia, i've been practicing the intro sweeping solo for 1 week straight...
                            JL often reminds me of a modernized yngwie meets jason becker.

Comment

yeah, loomis is the shit, although i wouldnt recommend his collumns to a beginning sweeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X