Harmonic Minor and Dominant Phrygian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Minor and Dominant Phrygian

any examples of songs and bands that use these scales in particular ?

Re: Harmonic Minor and Dominant Phrygian

Yngwie [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Rusty cooley, nile, nevermore......anyone scary
      www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Definitely the neo-classical crowd - Yngwie, Joe Stump, Iron Mask, Ark Storm, etc.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but phrygian dominant is the fifth mode of harmonic minor. For example E phyrgian dominant and A harmonic minor contain the same notes: A B C D E F and G#. E phrygian dominant simply starts on E, if you will, and contains the same notes as A harmonic minor.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

its also jokingly refered to as Heavy Metal 5 mode

Comment

"its also jokingly refered to as Heavy Metal 5 mode "

and rightly so.....lol, i guess 3/4 of our riffs are in E (or D for that matter...full step down) phrygian dominant [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeahh Fragle its a killer colour-i love the major 3rd and flat 2ndIts also a KILLER scale to use over DOM chords(Esp the turnaround)and as it has that altered 9th you get some cool fuisiony tensions when combining it with the mixolydian shapes

Comment

Working...
              X