good begining jazz leads to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good begining jazz leads to learn?

What are some good begining jazz leads to learn if there are any? I am talking more bluesy jazz stuff with more of a slow tempo... The stuff you play on a rainy day to relax and enjoy playing the geetar. Could anyone recommend anything to me?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: good begining jazz leads to learn?

I think West Coast Blues by Wes Montgomery would be a good one to start on.. I know a few other Wes tunes that would probably not be too difficult but I'd have to sit down and give 'em a listen to figure out which ones would be good... I'll drop another reply some time later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    By the way, it's not that bluesy but Satin Doll is a great jazz standard that you should probably learn if you want to get really into jazz!

Comment

try some George Benson tunes
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

As Steve has mentioned, Wes Montgomery will be a good choice for starter, Tal Farlow is another alternative.

Fong

Comment

Tal Farlow & George Benson? I wouldn't consider their playing "beginner" stuff. They're both brilliant guitarists.

for something slow & bluesy, how about Riviera Paradise or Lenny, both by SRV?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

The chord progression of Tal Farlow's stuff are not as complex as most modern Jazz. As for George Benson, he has a couple of more contemporary/pop stuff which are pretty easy to digest.

my two cents
            Fong

Comment

I love listening to Tal Farlow... to my ear it's pretty much the perfect idea of what jazz guitar should be. However his licks sound pretty hard.. the chord progressions are not really complex but the lead lines/improv show a pretty tough level of playing in my opinion.

Early George Benson (like this 60s album The New Boss Guitar of George Benson with the Brother Jack McDuff Quartet) is very bluesy but I would call it more difficult.

BTW check out Charlie Christian (who played with Benny Goodman), apparently Tal Farlow learned to play by teaching himself Charlie's stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X