Help me learn how to play like Jason Becker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me learn how to play like Jason Becker

Hes my hero. Help me learn to play like him.

Re: Help me learn how to play like Jason Becker

Start by listening to classical music alot more, and transcribing his songs, then practice your ass off 10 hours a day [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

hahaha good luck...learn some cacophony...in fact learn regular songs and then find the most difficult way possible to play over them

Comment

becker is a god...in fact there's plenty of tabs for perpetual burn around..

Comment

Perpetual Burn is the best CD I own. I guess I should start learning to read music. What age did he start playing guitar?

Comment

6 i believe
            www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

hmm but i have seen pictures of him when he was 3 and held a guitar (accoustic).

Comment

essentially his entire living memory either way....kerazeee...such ashame about him....not rite...

Comment

Dude you have to be really good to play him - I mean world class good. You need to be able to play at 180 - 200 bpm to start playing this kind of stuff.

I don't know what experience you have or how many years you have been playing but you don't just start playing that kind of stuff until you master a lot of technique - thats all I can say.

If you have the chops and speed and have arpeggio technique mastered then you can do it. Even then don't expect to sound exactly like anyone because you are not that person. But if you are really good you can come close.

Here is the issue though: you will be putting a lot of time into sounding like someone else therebye taking time away from developing your own style.

Lets say you get there. OK then you sound like Becker. People will say hey you sound like Jason Becker. Personally I would rather have them say I have my own unique style or sound.

The other option may be to learn some of the various techniques he used and put them into your own musical development.

Get all the tabs you can find - there are some on the net. Get whatever vidoes you can find of him - they are out there and watch what he does.
                  Get vidoes of his clinics in Japan.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

you wanna be like Becker, forget the fucking tabs, I'm pretty sure he had a great pitch and played everything by ear, if Marty Friedman used ONLY his ears then so did Jason.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

simply put the hours in-nothing majorly hard about it.ANYONE can get to that standard if they put in SHIT loads of practise in!the rest of us mortals have jobs/social lives/families so will never get to that level

Comment

I put in 23 hours one week into Serrana, didnt even get past the 3rd sweep shape at a decent speed, but I learned the riff before the sweeping perfect, its really helpful when trying to understand jason's style

In other words, expect to practice TONS of hours to learn anyone's style.. I am personally mixing Marty Friedman style with hide from X Japan, and abit of my old Paul Gilbert influenced- days.. Improvising and ear training is more important than learning anyones whole discography

Comment

Like I said on another thread..

Some dudes are just born to play...and some have to really work their asses off to get anywhere..

Jason Becker was born to play guitar, and he played his ass off!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            simply put the hours in-nothing majorly hard about it.ANYONE can get to that standard if they put in SHIT loads of practise in!the rest of us mortals have jobs/social lives/families so will never get to that level

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. Yes, if you practice your ass off you will push yourself to the limits of YOUR ability. But that doesn't guarantee you'll be a Becker, Yngwie, or Gilbert. Like Bill said, some people are just born with something extra. That's what makes them special. If it was just hard work, there would be a lot more virtuoso guitarists, pianists, etc.
                            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

True, even if you can get to the level of playing that Becker attained...........Can you write?
                              His stuff is all original. I know a few guys that are great "imitator" but when it comes to writing they suck.
                              learn the technique and move on, develop your own style or you too will become an "imitator", and those are a dime a dozen.
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X