Help me learn how to play like Jason Becker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me learn how to play like Jason Becker

everyone can learn how to play fast, but most of them could never play something "musical". You either have the talent or you don't.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

if you want to be a copy cat then its just hard work involved in putting the hours in,there are lots of great clsssical musicians out there who can play anything put down on paper in front of them but struggle when you remove those sheets from them.I know a few guitarists that sound just like YJM when they solo but they cant arrange a decent tune like he does(or did)the thing is they have put the hours in to get to that TECH level-i never could get into Becker,i dont know why as neoclassical musicians like YJM and macalpine where the reason i started learning lead-i also feel the same about marty's playing.Going back to the subject if one wants to play like becker then they have to put the hours in on all things classical.there are prob more killer axemen/pianists out there that you can shake a stick at mate-but times have changed and its not as cool as it used to be otherwise there would be a lot more household names,Mind you i think musicians are returning at long last

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I put in 23 hours one week into Serrana, didnt even get past the 3rd sweep shape at a decent speed, but I learned the riff before the sweeping perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah man i know what you mean...the sweep shapes are insane....playing slow bits of beckers are really good for getting into his style...things like the opening of altitudes, opus pocus, also jewel by marty and jason (dragon's kiss) is really good coz it has some flurries in it too which gives an insight into how he constructs things...opus pocus is really good coz it has his whammy bar vibrato all over the opening

Comment

No offense but I think you should spend more time playing like DenimBrigade than Jason Becker.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I dont want to just be a copy cat, I know its important to develop my own style. I kinda meant was there one thing that really made his playing special or how did he practice. My friend told me something and now his songs all make alot more sense. He told me that Jason would come up with tons of awesome licks, then make a song out of them.

Comment

"No offense but I think you should spend more time playing like DenimBrigade than Jason Becker. "

+1

Although I can understand his inspiration that he has on you...Eddie was mine..but I don't sound like him....but my tone is always in the "ballpark"..Jeff Loomis kicks me in the ass now.

You have fingerprints that are all your own..use them...write some GREAT music..

I'm NOT the best player out there and NEVER will be...that's for certain...BUT I can write a smokin' metal song that I can be proud of!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

you can too!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

wise fucking words mate [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Everyone is a copycat, EVH, Randy, you name it. They just put another twist on the shit.

Its called influences.

You dig Becker, learn it the best ya can and do yer own thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X