Bass playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass playing

Ok I have 2 questions. How do guys like Steve Harris, John Alderete, and Billy Sheehan all play extremely fast for long periods of time?!?! I play bass, normally with a pick and when I try to play with my fingers I can do it fast for about a minute then my hand cramps up! Any tips on how to improve finger playing?

Ok 2nd question. Anyone have any tips for keeping your fingers closer to the fretboard? Like Chris Impelterri (guitar player) I'm sure I could apply guitar techniques to bass right!?

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Bass playing

1. Practice.

2. Practice.

Next question?

I know these aren't the awnsers you are looking for, but the truth is tht the only way to build technique, endurance and speed is through practice. The more you practice the faster you will get better.

Comment

keeping your fingers next to the fretboard is a function of relaxing propery. guitarprinciples.com is all about this. i believe troy stetina is associated with the site. kind of long winded, i dind't buy the books, but what i did read kind of reinforced what i kind of figured out for myself with regards to learning technical stuff.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Thank you! I'll check out that site and I will practice, practice!! haha!

Comment

i think billy Sheehan uses 3 fingers.

Comment

Yea he does, Harris does too. Personaly i cant get three faster than two. But as stated before just practise. And personally I'd advise just using your fingers.

Comment

As stated above, just takes a lot of practice. One of the best ways I found to build up stamina was to learn all the tracks off of a Maiden record and just throw that record on and play along.

I'd highly recommend learning to play with three fingers right from the start instead of just two. I learned two first and paid for it later. One of the things I struggled with was getting into the three finger technique and making sure the notes were even and controlled. Sitting down with a metronome and doing one finger a beat helped a ton while counting it out loud.

Basically doing the following while running over scales / chromatic exercises / whatever.

123123123123123123123123 <-- Fingers
              123412341234123412341234 <-- Verbal counts to metronome

Another great 3 finger exercise is to accent the first count with the whichever finger it lands on by hitting that note a little harder.
              123123123123123123123123 <-- Fingers
              123412341234123412341234 <-- Verbal counts to metronome

Comment

Sheehan plays with 4 fingers..

I played bass for over 25 years..I play with a pick, fingers , I slap and I tap like a banshee..whatever I feel is best for whatever style and or song.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ALWAYS Practice with a drum machine or a metronome..I never "counted" anything while playing..jamming to a drum machine for hours on end for years did it for me .. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This will build your chops and meter like crazy and in no time....start slow and ease the tempo up until whatever your doing feels natural...

You will come up with stuff just jammin' to a prest 4/4 or 3/4 beat on a drum machine...it's the best practicing tool I ever had when playing bass.

I came up with alot of cool two handed slappin' and tappin' stuff that way..and it's ALL "musical" because It's created with drums in perfect time!

John Andrette is the best of the ones you mentioned IMO..He's a great bass player!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not too big on Sheehan..never was....He did do some things I thought was very tasty ..especially on the first Tony MacAlpine album with Steve Smith on drums..I think that was his best moment.

Harris is Harris..he's solid..crafted a style that hasn't changed at all..he has a formula and sticks with it..he uses alot of the same progressions and patterns...learn "Phantom of the opera" and "wrathchild" and you pretty much know his whole deal..

My first and main influence was Geezer..until I saw Tony Levin with King Crimson playing a Chapman Stick around '81..I just adapted THAT technique to bass..other players such as Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Stu Hamm...speaks my languge..they all do that same sorta thing..when the "tap" they do it in very musical context..just like playing a piano...not like whatever Sheehan does..I don't know what that is..it mostly sounds like a mess to me.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not a bass player but I can play as fast as the guys you mentioned, with my fingers, I play flamenco wich has some similar techniques wich are used in bass playing.

First, it is easier to play the triplet with this order: ring, middle, index finger that means 321 or fourths first the pinky then ring etc. 4321

Now the important thing. Do not just hit the strings. You have to use the "pulling thru the strings" motion, it's like you are trying to drag the string upwards with your finger tips, just try to drag and then slip your fingers over the strings.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Your turning me on E..stop talkin' Dirty! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Hey, I was reading all about Estonia today..in my Kids's world reference book..what a beautiful place..I must come out and visit you!

Put me and my family up for a week..I'll buy the Pizza!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

anytime Bill [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                      X