Favorite alternate tunings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite alternate tunings?

Hey everyone, what are some of your favorite alternate tunings? One of my faves is D#G#D#G#BD#, which is a G# minor. I really dig that one because you can do one finger barre chords and get a minor chord. Plus the bottom two strings are still a fourth away, so you can play all your chunky thrash riffs off the low E same as normal. Off the A string you can get sort of a "drop D" root/fifth chord by playing the adjacent D string. And in the full barre, you just add one finger on the next higher fret on the B string and get a major chord!! And of course you can transpose this tuning higher or lower as you desire...

Re: Favorite alternate tunings?

drop c # sounds soo good, eb also a fave, and b has a great sound...doing a drop a ala the underground in america off the trendkill album also has a very cool drone sound to it

Comment

I like Drop D flat a lot.

Comment

I don't know if they count as "alternate" but the only tunings I ever use are Eb(Yngwie-ish) or D(CoB,Symphony X-ish)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I like Drop D flat a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be drop c# then [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

i like C its great for arch enemy and stuff like that. plus drop D is just cool.

Comment

does Standard (or Drop D, for that matter) tuned down constitute an "alternate tuning"?

I dig DADGAD. 3rd, 4th & 5th strings are tuned to Standard, so you can bang out regular chord shapes on those strings; bottom string is effectively Drop D, so you can play your flogger one finger chords; top string is D too, so if you know where you are on the bottom string, you know what note you are playing on the top one; and the whole show sounds great using fingerpicking or slide too.

DADF#AD is cool too. Same as above, but with the 3rd string tuned down another half step
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I've got guitars tuned to E, Eb and D, so I like to do the Drop D, Drop Db and Drop C thing occasionally. And my 7-string is standard with the low B, so Drop A on that every once in awhile. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm in Eb 50% of the time, in E 40% of the time and sometimes in Drop D (for some bodom and cradle stuff) and C# (for some dying fetus and god hates us all stuff)
                  "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

C slack & drop D, mostly E............

Comment

Working...
                    X