My left hands thumb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My left hands thumb...

What it is... I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and I'm beginning to notice more and more flaws in my technique. When I'm make little eighth or sixteenth note runs up a scale and come back down, the note I hit with my pinky sounds dead. I practiced going slow but no matter what I did ot how much I practiced I couldn't exceed certain speeds without getting that dead note. Before I say anything else, I would like to mention (though it may seem obvious) that I'm interested in playing metal. Anyway, after I did the slow to fast thing, (note that my thumb was in the "wraparound" position) I put my thumb in the "classical" position. It was slow at first but I eventually picked up speed. This was sort of a wake up call to me. So here I am. Personally, I find the "wraparound" position more comfortable and I don't know if that's due to the fact that I started playing like that or what. The classical position, however, clearly has its advantages in the style of music I am interested in. Also, I know some guys that can straight shred and not one of 'em uses the wraparound position. So I can either practice what I've been practicing for a good year now or reform. I know a lot of you guys have been tearin' it up for a while now so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: My left hands thumb...

Classical thumb position is best for speed. I too am stuck with "Jimmy Page Thumb" because I started out on a Les Paul type with the fat round neck.

Anyhoo, it takes a while to teach an old dog new tricks, so just start paying more attention to your thumb.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I play a combination of both, though I started with the classical position first. They each have their advantages

Comment

Thanks dudes. I'll get to workin' on my classical position.

Comment

yeah I find I don't really think about this much when playing, I really concentrate on the fretboard more and my thumb just seems to go back and forth as necessary.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

My thumb goes back and forth between positions. I sometimes try out harder riffs and runs in both positions and see which works best for me.

Comment

I can safely say I know my way around the wraparound position. I just think that learning the classical position may give me an edge in playing metal.

Comment

agree with wise words above.Most of the time my thumb is wrapped around for chord work/bluesy licks(at speed)but when it gets techy the classical postition has to shaped for correct hand placement and ease of moveage across the fretboard.

Comment

Working...
                X