try it in reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• try it in reverse

In setting up a mini squire for my left handed son I came to a new appreciation for how hard it is when you first start learning guitar. Playing left handed just while tuning and intonating was a real eye opener. I was amazed at how inept I was as a lefty, especially chords.

Re: try it in reverse

you should get your son to play right handed-when you start playing it doesnt matter what hand you use as there both feeble in fretting the strings cleanly.The bonus of righty playing will also be a bigger selection of guitars to play!i have also heard that the fretting hand would be stronger?

Comment

Now you tell me...I've already flipped his guitar and changed his name to Jimi. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd go with teaching him to play right handed too. It's easier to flip one guitar back over now than to do it to every other guitar the rest of his life. My bass player is a lefty that plays right-handed.

And I know EXACTLY how hard it is to flip over!! As a tech, I have to set-up and repair both right- AND left-handed guitars.

Comment

Definitely let him play righty - just for the wider selection.

I was born a lefty but my parents made me be a righty when I was little. Given the fact that it's easier to find a guitar, I'm not havin a problem with it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Though I do sometimes wish for a lefty piano [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah..I agree..he's green either way..may as well learn this way...and it will make it much easier for you to keep his geetars set up and jamming with him and teaching him stuff..

even if he's a lefty..maybe it will be more natural for him to switch later on and be some super freak like Michael Batio.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm a lefty who plays righty, and I'm damn glad I am! The selection of guitars out there for lefty's just down right sucks! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I also play all sports right handed too. I don't recall ever being forced to be righty in some things. I guess it started as being a kid, and having to borrow a baseball glove or something and it being right handed. Now, if you cut off my left hand I wouldn't be able to write or feed myself. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I agree with the others that I would teach him to play righty.

Comment

Switch it back eh? Well, gives me some more practice making nuts. I figured there was some cosmic reason for playing with the pick in the dominant hand. He's going to think I'm torchering him though , especially when I show him that a grumpy old dude, a rotting skull face guy, a death's head and a somewhat no-plussed devil fellow are all recommending I switch him back. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X