Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording guitar and avoiding guitar noises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording guitar and avoiding guitar noises?

Well I'm having trouble recording clean. Especially when I palm mute slowly my guitar makes a feedbackish noise (its not feed back) it has a metalic ring to it and I can't seem to stop it! Its annoying. I don't know if my guitar needs to be set up. Its a Tom bridge.. any ideas?

Re: Recording guitar and avoiding guitar noises?

Perhaps it isnt grounded properly?

Comment

Re: Recording guitar and avoiding guitar noises?

You sure it's not the strings behind the nut to the tuners ringing?
      My DR7 used to do that if I hit a chord then muted it quickly.

Or it may just be harmonics coming from your pick hand.

Without hearing it myself, I can't be sure.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have heard of some people tying a sock around the neck near the nut when playing solos up high on the fretboard.

There are also those string dampeners that do the same thing.

More importantly is to learn how to play cleanly the palm is supposed to move around up and down the strings to mute the strings you don't play also the left hand can help in muting.

Start playing this way slowly then build up speed.

If your muted sound is not clean try moving your palm up and down the bridge till you get a nicer sound and try different levels of pressure.

Also pluck with the pick flat against the strings not at a diagonal and most importantly pick HARD.

s

Last edited by stephenslr; 04-06-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.. I'll try to record something. I'll try what you said stephenslr.

Comment

First isolate where the ringing is coming from. Do you get the ringing coming from your amp, or are you going straight into a recording device? Do you get the same sound from other guitars? Is it at any particular fret, or on any particular string? Be as specific as possible and try and hunt the sound down through a process of elimination.

Comment

To me it sounds like you need to work on your palm muting technique - the strings are vibrating against your hand rather than being muting. However, it could also be the TOM - does yours have the retaining wire? These can be pretty buzzy, though its not really audible through the amp. I put a bend in these wires between the screw heads - it tightens the wire and it will buzz less.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Not to get ahead of the discussion here, but once you develop a clean technique, then you will live for those cool finger noises, especially on acoustic guitar.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                X