recording question - pick attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording question - pick attack

when recording leads i often get a really clicky and loud pick attack especially when playing fast licks, something i don't quite notice when playing through my tube amps at loud volumes (i'm using a pod 2.0 for those recordings). i wonder if there's any way to minimize the pick attack? for example, when listening to yngwie malmsteens stuff, it's just sooo fluid, and you can barely hear the pick even when he's clearly picking the licks, i'm not talking about legato playing. i wonder how he get's that sound? i found that using the neck pickup helps, but the "clicking" is still pretty loud.

That clicking sound is very frequent. Have you tried using pointier picks like Jazz III for instance? Also try using as little as possible of the pick when picking.

Comment

A quick shot (risking it all): reduce your crappy, transistor/computer generated buzzy distortion.

heh, i'm not trying to be a dick, Fragle It was simply the first thing that came to my mind when reading your question. Do you use a lot of non-tube distortion on said recordings? If so, there you have it.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Try using a slightly more flexible pick. Could you post an mp3 clip?
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Don't pick directly above a pickup.

I use a .63 pick and a pod XT and i get no pick noise!

Comment

Originally posted by Child Of Norther
            Don't pick directly above a pickup.

I use a .63 pick and a pod XT and i get no pick noise!
            We have a winner! There ya go.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

thin picks don't work for me. i like em hard
              "Do you use a lot of non-tube distortion on said recordings? If so, there you have it."
              as i said, it's just the pod 2.0 run direct and as i said, i don't really have this issue with my tube amps. unfortunately, micing up a tube amp at a sufficient volume is not an option right now

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
                as i said, it's just the pod 2.0 run direct and as i said, i don't really have this issue with my tube amps. unfortunately, micing up a tube amp at a sufficient volume is not an option right now

That's not your problem dude. The problem is how you pic. I record with pod XT and don't get it.

Shit, dimebag played "non-tube" and listen to him. It's how you pick. The only case where the pod could be causing the problem is magnifying poor technique.

Comment

You're saying that Fragle picks differently when he's using tube amps. Interesting.
                  Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                    You're saying that Fragle picks differently when he's using tube amps. Interesting.

Naw, i'm saying that it's the technique that's causing it.

Tube, pod or SS, i don't get those noises.

Comment

Yes i understand CoN, but he said the noise is not there when he uses tube amps. And you say it's his technique, so i just summarized those two statements in my comment up there.
                      Henrik

Comment

Pick farther away from the bridge. Turn down the treble.
                        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

i was refering to the question whether i'm using a lot of non-tube/digital distortion when recording, and with the pod being one of the first gen. modelers i surely do.

as for the tube amps, maybe the sound is there but i don't notice it. honestly, the only foolproof way would be to stick a sm57 in front of the amp, record it, and see if the clicking pick sound can be heared or not, because as we all know it's much easier to hear subtleties (sp?) in your sound when listening to a recording rather than just playing the stuff and trying to pick up the details while doing so.

hell, i'll just record a short sample today and post it so you know what i'm talking about.
                          i found that using different picks *slightly* helps with the problem, thinner picks having a smoother sound, but then again, yngwie's using 1.5mm dunlop picks and doesn't get any of this shit

Comment

ok, here you go. charvel model 3 loaded with a dimarzio steve's special into pod 2.0 (boosted with a tubescreamer, but i use that one on every single recording as well as live) set to modern higain model. some very slight reverb, otherwise it's dry as a bone.
                            pick used: .88 green tortex dunlop

click here

Comment

Hey, nice shreddin', Fragle!

I don't think the noise is too bad. I can hear the dreaded non-tube distortion trademarks in there, but it's not totally ruining the sound i think. Maybe it becomes too much when dubbing the guitar and start mastering it, i dunno.... but that could happen.

I think you're a bit off when compairing Yngwie's YJM NECK tone with your STEVES SPECIAL BRIDGE tone. Two very different beasts. But hey, your playing is top notch
                              Henrik

Comment

Working...
                              X