No announcement yet.

recording question - pick attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my playing sure isn't top notch, but thanks for the kind words anyway i just hit record and played something fast, because as i said most of the clicky pick attack can be heared during faster passages.

yep, when using the air norton neck pickup on my dean it's much less apparent, but then again, check out e.g. yngwie's deja vu, he's using the bridge pickup quite often during this song, and the sound is super smooth. same thing goes for anything jeff loomis, he's got a killer lead tone, e.g. on the nevermore recording dead heart in a dead world - and that's a dual rectifier, not exactly an amp that is said to be a "killer lead amp", so go figure.

edit: besides, yngwie has a very low gain tone, whereas i had quite a lot of gain dialed in on this clip - drive cranked, some compression, and the tubescreamer upfront
    Last edited by Fragle; 06-04-2006, 07:55 AM.

Comment

bumpidy bump

right now i'm listening to death - voice of the soul. it's amazing, even though he's using a vs100 you can't hear any pick noise unless he's diggin in real hard

Comment

I can't remember the frequency off the top of my head, but you can minimise pick attack noise with EQ. Although it'll obviously work best in conjunction with the other suggestions in this thread. Maybe try a google search for guitar pick EQ or something.

Comment

I'll be the dissenter here. Yeah in your clip I hear more pick noise than in Yngwie's playing, BUT I hear it in Yngwie's stuff too. The same goes for Loomis, Becker, and everyone I've ever heard play fast. We're all human.

Comment

pick noise didn't sound to excessive to me. turn down the gain a little? Did you try Matt Crooks' suggestions?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

in that clip i still used quite a lot of treble, but i'm already picking quite far away from the bridge, that's just my technique.

Comment

first off , Nice shredding
                second I don't hear any excessive pick noise either, but if you want to smooth it out add some compression to it, that will even it out a bit and the pick noise should seem less.

Oh and I agree with thetroy, I hear pick noise from all those guys too, listen to Petrucci pick fast it's there.
                Production, Production......
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The pick 'noise' just adds a nice aggressive attack to the notes, i think. Just listen to Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics stuff - lots of very nice pick 'noise' which amplifies his speed.

If the pick 'noise' wasn't there, you'd think it was Dave Murray making his usual 1 pick + 1000 hammer-ons + 1000 pull-offs
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I agree with the others that the pick noise seemed fine in your clip. I actualy like to turn the pick a little sometimes to add texture to phrases. I think its tough to compare yourself to YM though. Isn't he known as having one of the lightest pick-hand touches around?

Comment

Working...
                    X