How To Stay In Tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Stay In Tune?

My guitar keeps going out of tune every time I tune it even after just playing a simple power chord, it's really bad and I can't do anything about it.. any suggestions? I've tried tuning, bending, tuning, bending etc.. but It just won't stay in tune..

I've heard you could fix it by adjusting something in the back of the guitar or something similar, but I have no idea how that works either..

First of all, what kind of guitar? What kind of bridge and what kind tunnig pegs?

Comment

I have a Jackson RX10-D with a JT580 LP double-locking 2point tremolo bridge. I don't know about the tunnig pegs..

I'm tuned in standard E btw. The guitar has been like this since the day I got it, kinda got used to tuning it after every goddamn riff I played, but it's just annoying now and I want to fix it. Any suggestions would be killer, thanks.

Comment

When a guitar with a floatin bridge goes out of tune when it is locked on both sides (bridge and nut), it is usually due to poor setup.. I would assume that the strings on your guitar are pretty high, and that the bridge is not even straight with the body.. is this so? also the strings on the back of the guitar that are connected to the bridge need to be adjusted just the right way.

Comment

I tried adjusting those once, but with no luck, don't really know what to do.. but I think the bridge is straight with the body and the strings also seem to be at the right place, at least it looks like it..

Sorry about the shitty quality, it's the best I can do...

Comment

It looks like your trem is too high up. You need to adjust the tension springs in the back. The trem should be paralell with the body of the guitar.

Comment

Your bridge is sunk down and is not standing straight with the body, this probably is the reason.. anyhow, open the lock on the nut so that the strings would be free for tuning, and then release some of the tension on the springs on that are on the back of the body, and tune the guitar, you will notice that the action goes higher, and also the bridge will become more straight, and repeat this action, untill the bridge is straight with the body.. after it is straight, using the 2 on the base of the bridge, you can lower the bridge to the desired level, and then check if it is still standind straight, if not, repeat the above instructions!

Comment

poor spelling corrections! :

"after it is straight, using the 2 *SCREWS* on the base of the bridge,"

standind = standing damnit!!

Comment

Oh and by "straight" I mean that the base plate of the bridge, shoud not sink into the body on either sides, it should stand exactlly straight with the body.

Comment

If the trem is too high up does that mean when I put it parallell to the body the strings go higher, or vise versa? cos when I push the whammy bar slightly down against the strings the base plate goes parallell with the body, and the strings go higher up from the fret board..

Base plate as in where it has ''Jackson'' imprinted? Right? I think I got the idea, but still kinda confusing, how exacly do I release tension on the back of the body?

Comment

Originally posted by Erez
                      poor spelling corrections! :

"after it is straight, using the 2 *SCREWS* on the base of the bridge,"

standind = standing damnit!!
                      Hahahaha don't worry, I read ''standing'' and 2 as in ''2 screws''..

Not much of a speller myself, so I can read the incorrect-spelled :P
                      Last edited by Alli; 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alli
                        If the trem is too high up does that mean when I put it parallell to the body the strings go higher, or vise versa? cos when I push the whammy bar slightly down against the strings the base plate goes parallell with the body, and the strings go higher up from the fret board..

Base plate as in where it has ''Jackson'' imprinted? Right? I think I got the idea, but still kinda confusing, how exacly do I release tension on the back of the body?
                        No, when the floyd is too high and you make it parallell to body, the strings go lower. If the trem is too high, you should pull the whammy bar to the opposite side, not towards the string.

when you get the guitar tuned, check how parallell to body is trem. You will have to raise it or lower it (maybe you had luck and it's already parallell to the body)
                        to lower the trem, unscrew the plate (the rectangular one) on the behind of the guitar and screw-IN those two screws. If you have to raise the trem, then screw-OUT those two screws.

then retune the guitar and repeat everything over if necessary. it's not that hard once you get the idea how it works.

btw, I have rx10d too .
                        Last edited by Nazgul; 06-11-2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

When you adjust the trem when it's tuned to a certain tuning are you adjusting for that particilar tuning? or does the guitar have to be in E? I've heard that some guitars aren't made for drop tuning, so it might depend on the guitar?.. Seeing as you have an RX you might know what tuning are you in?

And again, base plate is where it has ''Jackson'' imprinted, Right? And what's the difference between the floyd or trem beeing too high/low?

Comment

And what are those two screws you're talking about? I unscrewed the plate, and I don't see any screws, just where the wiring for the volume and input is.. You mean those two ''screws'' that are on the floyd/bridge? Located in each corner on the front?

And the screws that attach the strings to the bridge, I've seen people adjusting those, with the strings attached and everything, why is that? Is it to loosen the tens?.. And what about those ''screws'' (aparantly), in the back of the floyd?

Comment

This should help you.
                              http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/TPS/floyd_setup.htm
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X