Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ultra fast chugs... need high tension in Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultra fast chugs... need high tension in Strings?

ID love those Jon Schaeffer'esque speed chugs. However, I fidn that on 9-42's, the strings are just too loose on my 25.5" guitar. DO the elite players need high tension strings for that quick attack and lightning fast power chug? OR is it the fact you need perfect tehnique and a "quiet" strumming hand?

I have decent technique, but I wanna take it to the next level.

For instance, take the song "travel in Stygian" by Iced Earth, and tell me how on earth he DOES THAT SONG!!! Insanity!!

Thanks for any helpful advice/tips!

I don't think you need thicker strings, but that sort of playing gets easier with both thicker strings and thicker picks I think. That said, I have no problem playing on 9's with Jazz III's.

I haven't learned any Iced Earth songs so my gallop is probably not fast enough to do that song (or a lot of their songs for that matter). I have been leaning toward the straight 8th/16th/32nd type stuff like DragonForce does, it's just as fast I think.

Comment

Jon uses heavy strings, high action and a big triangle pick!
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

What it takes mostly is years of practice. While he may be most comfortable with a high action, heavy strings and a big triangle pick, I bet you dollars to donuts he can do it nearly as well with just about any Hondo in a pawn shop. Pros like Jon Schaeffer have spent YEARS playing those style songs day in and day out under every imaginable circumstance. And, to be honset, that's the secret. Never give up! Practice whenever you can!

Comment

yep, obviously practice is the key, but i found that using thick picks and strings DOES help. most of my guitars are tuned to D standard, and after trying loads of different string gauges i finally settled on 10-52 sets = thin top heavy bottom.
          besides, thicker strings don't get out of tune so easily (esp. if you pick hard), and tend to sound better imho.

Comment

I find it's easier with a medium pick (1 to 1.14 or 1.5mm) and at least a set of 11s (so a 50 or 52 on the low E for standard tuning).
            Otherwise, I can usually chug very fast even with a thin pick, thin string and low tension. But it's harder and not so enjoyable.

Comment

Slayer plays faster than Iced Earth and they both use 9's tuned to Eb. You don't need heavier strings if you can control your right hand.

Comment

Hey now, dont go sayign somethign crazy like that. Yes, Slayer does their job well, but I must say Jon chugs tighter and faster then the Slayer boys :p

However, im not much of a slayer listener, point out some quality songs with speed chug for me to digest

Comment

slayer is much faster, but also less complex as far as the rhythms go. most of the time it's fast 16th notes at like 220+ bpm for like 3 minutes straight - hell awaits would be a good example.
                  jon on the other hand hardly does straight 16th notes, but plays a lot of galloping riffs. it's apples and oranges really

Comment

I mostly play Rhythm. Iced Earth has always been one of the most challenging bands to cover/copy as far as classic 'heavy/power' metal riffs are concerned. First of all your palmmuting technique and overall technique is important, but besides that, yes I do find that thicker strings and higher tension does help, not only does it help for

a) the playing itself, is easier and can be brought further with tighter strings

b) the sound, fatter strings result in fatter sound, mixed with good ampsettings, you'll get GodOfChug sound!
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                      What it takes mostly is years of practice. While he may be most comfortable with a high action, heavy strings and a big triangle pick, I bet you dollars to donuts he can do it nearly as well with just about any Hondo in a pawn shop. Pros like Jon Schaeffer have spent YEARS playing those style songs day in and day out under every imaginable circumstance. And, to be honset, that's the secret. Never give up! Practice whenever you can!
                      Period. +1

You may be more comfortable with different strings or action or pick. Maybe block the floating trem. But realistically you should be able to play on any guitar period. Practice.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster
                        But realistically you should be able to play on any guitar period. Practice.
                        Truth. I fiddle with my guitars more than anyone I know but when it comes down to it I can play anything you put in front of me.

Comment

Working...
                        X