Theory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory...

Can anyone recommend a good book/website that goes from beginning to the end and not just something that touches on the basic diatonic scales?

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

I'm sure that there will be others to give you advice but here is mine:

Many years ago, I had a copy of the Metal Method series by Doug (Marks?). It was a great start because it showed you major scales/patterns and explained the modes in an easy to understand way. I may get laughed off the site but it opened my eyes and helped me understand the patterns of the scales and modes.
    Give it a try at "www.metalmethod.com" it might be a good starting point.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

The Complete Guitarist available at your local book store or Amazon.

You won't be sorry. Best book I have ever seen on Guitar period.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

There's a lot of "The Complete Guitarist" books on Amazon - who's the author?
        Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

was just going to ask the same question.

-Nate
          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Troy Stetina series is good
            Totally Guitar is nice too

check guitar websites like this one

http://www.jazzguitar.be/

most of the time I find what I have to find on the web ... I bought some chords book a while ago and learned them all, that's pretty much the only book I've used ... and totally guitar, but that was a gift and it's real nice. They present a bunch of guitar companies, how to maintain your guitar, and obviously guitar techniques. There's a section on Rock, Jazz, Metal, Classic, Blues and so on

Comment

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

Comment

Richard Chapman

Amazon claims to have some used ones starting at $2.49 - best money you will ever spend on learning guitar.
                Last edited by shredmonster; 06-23-2006, 08:53 AM.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Frank Gambale has a few books out,he is a great teacher and easily shows you how to use theory into spicing up your playing

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
                    I'm sure that there will be others to give you advice but here is mine:

Many years ago, I had a copy of the Metal Method series by Doug (Marks?). It was a great start because it showed you major scales/patterns and explained the modes in an easy to understand way. I may get laughed off the site but it opened my eyes and helped me understand the patterns of the scales and modes.
                    Give it a try at "www.metalmethod.com" it might be a good starting point.
                    I agree. I recently purchased levels 1-6 and have found it very intuative. I think Doug does a good job of explaining scale, modal and chord theory. Levels 1 and 2 really aren't necessary unless you are just staring out, but 3 and 4 give you a good intro and 5 and 6 get down to more detail. check it out. It is relatively cheap and well worth your while.
                    Good deals with:
                    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Working...
                    X