Pickup switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup switching

Ok, this is refering to switching between pickups while playing, like the neck and bridge pickup, not swapping, like changing stock PU's for EMG's. I've noticed that a LOT of rock/metal/whatever players use ONLY their bridge pickup, many of them disconnecting or even completely removing neck pickups. I've done this in the past, but about a year and a half ago I got my Gibson SG and I really like the way the neck pickup sounds, even for playing heavy stuff. In the songs that I write I switch between pickups in nearly all of them. I use it as a way of getting a heavier, bassier sound without having to run back across stage and step on some pedal. I try and cut my pedals down to a minimum, as stage divers have a nasty habit of stepping on my shit. Anyways, anyone else here venture to the realm of neck pickupedness?
    No, I only have a bridge pickup(like a Model 2)
    3.88%
    No, I removed/disconnected the neck pickup
    1.94%
    No, I only use the bridge pickup, but I have both wired in
    14.56%
    Yes, I use both occasionally
    29.13%
    YES! I use both frequently.
    45.63%
    Yes, I'll have a number 3 with no mayo and a Coke
    4.85%

I use both all the time. I primarily roll the volume back and use my neck pup for clean tones, but it sounds pretty neat for some rhythm and lead tones as well.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, I switch as much as Yngwie:ROTF: (Which is a lot!)
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Mostly bridge. I like to use the neck for cleans or for mellower leads

Comment

Depends on the music I play.

For brutal technical death metal I only need the bridge pickup (my main guitar for this now is a COW DK6).
          For everything else I use the neck pickup (or the middle position) when it comes to cleans and mellow leads.
          But for distorted rhythm I always use the bridge pickup.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

No, I disconnected the neck pickup.

Disconnected only because passives and actives don't mix together. I miss my neck pickup sometimes.

Comment

I rarely use a neck pick-up but all my guitars have a neck hum!..
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I like the neck pickup for soloing - adds mid, smooths he tone out a little (think Racer X's - the band not the JCF member tones on the leads)
                Typically I like a hot single coil like a Duncan Hotrails in that spot, though one of my H/S fiddles has a cool rails. That is real nice for bluesier stuff
                Having said that, prbably 3/4 of my collection is either single hum or H/S ....

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac
                  I like the neck pickup for soloing - adds mid, smooths he tone out a little (think Racer X's - the band not the JCF member tones on the leads)
                  Heyyyyyy!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

For years, my main axe was a Performance guitars one-bridge-pickup EVH-style super strat, and I never felt like I was missing anything sound-wise. But I recently bought a '94 Ibanez 540S with a HSH configuration, and I have to say I really dig the neck pickup for soloing. It gives a real smooth sound, and even better articulation at times, depending on what kind of amp/effects I'm running. It's also cool to switch pickups in the middle of a solo, like if you want a certain phrase or run to stand out - I noticed a lot of people like George Lynch do that - there's a real tasty French player who posts frequently on youtube.com, Tristan Klein - check him out if you get a chance (even though he plays EBMM guitars!), he does it alot, too - anyway, it's just one more technique to add more color to your playing...

Comment

Neck pickup hides mistakes better...

Comment

if i wont use artificial harmonics, i switch to neck pickup when soloing. other times it's always on bridge pickup
                        everlasting life for me in a perfect world...but I gotta die first, please god send me on my way!

Comment

Up until about two years ago, I NEVER used the neck pickup. Then I got more into soloing, and exploring my own sounds and tone, and now I love it, and find it almost as important as the bridge.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

depends on my guitars i use.On most axes with the normal strat type 5 way selecter switch i flip from bidge to neck a lot of the time-and use the mid seltecion tones too.On other axes i dont as its a fucking pain!parker is too easy to roll off tone or treble aiming for the tiny switch and the esp push/pull pickup selecter is like a chocolate tea pot.That is tOO easy to roll off volume when changing and its not smooth or fucking quick enough.My BC Rich ST with its mini switches is a lot better.

Comment

In my old guitar, DMKGT, i would use the neck PU for playing lead and the bridge for distorted rythm. But Now i Have a USA fusion which is HSS. I find the neck PU a bit too week to switch too after using the 81 in the bridge. I do use the single coils for cleans. If I had a neck Humbucker im sure I would use it now and again.
                              If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Working...
                              X