No announcement yet.

Note for Note.... or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it's a cover tune...i try to play it note for note...or if i come up to a part that is difficult for me, or i don't know how it goes, i improvise.

Comment

Same as JZ06, execpt when i come up to a difficult part, i'll try and play it dead on anyway - and fail
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

definitely depends on the song... some songs as an audience member you expect the solo to be the same and judge the guitarist on that basis; other songs you dont care... i tend to look at each song on its merit... can i sing the solo... if yes then it must be memorable so i'd best nail it.. if not the improvise valhalla....

Comment

This is a great thread!

First of all, as a former drunk, being drunk sometimes means being more into what the bands playing - picture a bunch of trashed frat boys playing air guitar to the solo in Ain't talking about love. haha

I agree with the people who say you'd want to play the recognizable parts note for note and then try to jam in the style of the player for the rest.

But to the guy who got upset with Richie Blackmore: Sacrilege!!!

Anything HE plays is awsome, a revelation!!!

There was this vid of Highway Star, they are on some German TV show, and not only does he not play the structured parts, he hardly plays any notes at all, it's just whammy bar stuff, pick slides, demented tapping...

Comment

I learn the solos note for note, then change up trills/bends to spice it up.

Comment

i think it's much more important to nail the rythym parts and grooves spot on than it is for the solo. Nothing sounds worse than a van halen riff played wrong and without that touch he has, it's not easy on the ears.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

To that I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

Like many above, it depends on the solo and/or guitarist I'm covering. If it is a personal "hero" or a memorable solo, I will try to play it as close possible.

Another reason I do this is because playing someone else's solo can be a great technical exercise, and it can also get you thinking outside your "box", especially if you analyze what the guitarist is playing and why.

Comment

In our VH trib it was "note for note", and true to form in every possible way ..show and all..but do what you want John..

as long as it kicks ass..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think that the main riffing should be note for note, but the solo can vary depending on how intricate it is! Then again I don't consider myself a solo player!
                      I love admins!

Comment

I can't really play many solo's:ROTF: butttt i change them to fit my stretching abilities.

Comment

Most of the time, I try to do note for note.
                          However, I also like to spice things up with extra whammy bar effects and harmonics ... and sometimes when I feel it's appropriate (or when I can't figure out the original notes because the recording/playing is too messy), I add totally unexpected stuff: themes from The Simpsons, Mario Bross, stuff you hear during a Hockey Game ...
                          Boogies: 3-ch Dual Rectifier, Roadster, Mark IV, Mesa Trad 4x12 cab
                          FX: TC Electronics G-Major
                          Guitars: Jackson SL2H-MAH, Custom Liberatore
                          http://www.facebook.com/wardermetal
                          http://www.warder.bandcamp.com
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/wardermetal

Comment

If the solo is something that must people would recognize, then you need to be close unless you are reworking the whole song in a different style anyways. That being said, there are far more important things than if you are note-for-note like sound, drive, energy and feel. You can nail something note for note, but if it has no feel to it, people could care less.

If you are trying to impress other musicians in the audience, then you are going in the wrong direction as most times there are very few musicians listening. Plus, musicians rarely will stand infront of the stage and show you thier boobs
                            Last edited by OnlineStageGear; 11-28-2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I couldn't help but think of Toe in that last line.
                              But ya, all the female musicians I know really aren't of that typecast either.

Comment

Working...
                              X