No announcement yet.

Harmonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The location of where you pick the string is as important to artificial harmonics as how you use the pick and thumb to pinch the string. Hitting it at different spots over the pickups will result in different sounds.

Whoever mentioned vibrato had a good point, too.

Also - it shouldn't matter too much what amp you use. When you master the technique, you'll be able to do it uplugged just as easily. Good luck and keep at it - it's one of those things that, even though people can give you all the advice and tips in the world, you just have to practice over and over to get it down.

Comment

I suddenly had the hardest time achieving pinch harmonics on the 5th and 6th strings, when I recently switched to .011 for D-tuning - while on my guitar w .010 in standard tuning they came out sooo easilly! I've started to get a grip on them now again though - I found that using a lighter touch and not choking down as much on the pick actually helps with these - AND that I have to pay much closer attention to exactly where I'm hitting the string with the pick.

Now I'm considering going up yet another notch in string guage - I hope that will not mess things up any further... :P

Comment

Everyone touched on the right points with the technique. I have an issue with gear..for harmonics.

I love my Uberschall you would think that is harmonic friendly..it's not..I'm able to nail all the "safe" note..the ones that always "ring"..but the rest is like pulling teeth..

When I plug into my Marhall Rig..9200w/5881s/JMP-1/JFX-1..I can nail every note on the neck on every string and they sing evertime..for leads the Marshall is much more "lively" and "trick" friendly than the Uberschall..

I know this because I'll switch between them..I'l play the Uber for a month and the plug into the Marshall for a while..and that's the first things I always noticed..

I'm thinking out put a pedal in the front of the Uber just to give me more push..just for solos..I got the gain already maxed ..so I really don't have anywhere to go unless I want to install booster preamps in all my guitars..nah..a pedal seems like it would be a quicker fix...maybe.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I use a Vetta and I have noticed that on my settings with more treble I can get em easier. I have confirmed this by way of turning the tone knob all the way down on my guitar and its impossible to get pinch harmonics....turn the tone back up and Walla!!
          Last edited by quakana; 08-23-2006, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Bill you can use brighter pickups in one of your guitars to get the harmonics with your Uber
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
              I know this because I'll switch between them..I'l play the Uber for a month and the plug into the Marshall for a while..and that's the first things I always noticed..

I'm thinking out put a pedal in the front of the Uber just to give me more push..just for solos..I got the gain already maxed ..so I really don't have anywhere to go unless I want to install booster preamps in all my guitars..nah..a pedal seems like it would be a quicker fix...maybe.
              You have the gain maxed out on your Uberschall ??? Jebus G. Jehosephat you use a lot of distortion!

Comment

Working...
              X