why do guys use delay when soloing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do guys use delay when soloing?

I was listening to Herman Li, Petrucci, and Rusty Cooley and noticed they all use a bit of delay in their lead tones... granted that Petrucci uses a bit of EVERYTHING in his tones but hey..

It seems a lot of shredders use some delay. Is it because it helps tie the notes together and makes the solo more fluid?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Three things it does for me - hides mistakes, smooths the pick attack and fills out the mix.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

because dry tone just blows donkey cock when playing single notes. Seriously!!!

And it just not the shredders, every great lead player uses delay or reverb. (wheter it's from pedals, effect units, amp or mixing board)
      Last edited by Endrik; 08-16-2006, 01:53 PM.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

From Petrucci himself (on his Boss stereo delay effects):

"I love the way it makes it breathe more and adds more room and space to the sound, in addition to making it smoother"
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

gives you more depth,but its an art in its self to get the right wetness so it doesnt mask your playing.I use delay on some lead settings but am normaly happy enough for a room reverb just to add that space needed>

Comment

I like it for bending and hiding sloppy picking!
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Yeah, what Petrucci said.

I try to keep it set low so you hear it mostly after sudden stops. It sounds a bit like an echo rather than reverberation, which can get muddy or tinny, but I do have a couple of things where it's louder so I can play with the taps (good for working on your timing).
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It fills out the sound and smoothens it. I can't stand an all dry sound when soloing. Dry is ok for rhythm...but not solos. Of course, I always use a little grease, but it is not too wet.

Oh, it also hides mistakes and slop!!!

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

It sounds smooth.

Comment

yes..always..for all the above reasons..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

cause it sounds good .
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

or so you can be badass and harmonize a long delay a la nuno
                        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I know that delay or any effect for that matter can add color and enhance your tone, but I don't use anything other than an overdrive or wah in my signal for the reason many people stated above... it hides mistakes. When I have tried using it I felt like I was cheating. Also, the other guitar guitar player in my band runs a very wet signal and things would sound like mush it I did the same.
                          Last edited by khabibissell; 08-17-2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of reverb or delays in solos. A little is alright but I'm sick of hearing players on the net masking their playing with a wall of mush.
                            It depends on the style of music too. I think it works better in more epic light rock solos than heavier styles.

Comment

Oh it will sound like MUSH if it's too wet..just a little is all ya need..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X