Dive Bomb Harmonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dive Bomb Harmonics

I can nail pinch harmonics with ease but I cannot, for the life of me, do the dive bomb/trem harmonics.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do these? From watching various people perform these it appears that you dive with the trem, attack the string somewhat while "slacked", touch the string over a node, and then slowly release the trem.

I've tried this but I usually end up making some kind of noise remininscent of a dying monkey being violate one last time by a rabid cheetah.

You've got it right on, but from my experiences, you have to somewhat mute the other strings near the fret you're trying to get the squeal out of. You get that clean, pinging harmonic sound that you can drag up and down with the trem...It truly is art. I'm not a master at this, just thought it might be helpful.

-Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust
      I can nail pinch harmonics with ease but I cannot, for the life of me, do the dive bomb/trem harmonics.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do these? From watching various people perform these it appears that you dive with the trem, attack the string somewhat while "slacked", touch the string over a node, and then slowly release the trem.

I've tried this but I usually end up making some kind of noise remininscent of a dying monkey being violate one last time by a rabid cheetah.
      I just taight my 11 year old son this trick..and Adam's advice in spot on.

when picking a string in attempt for a harmonic ..you must find the G spot between the two pups..if you have two pickups..slightly move up and down the string..I like the G string..it wails best for me..and choke down hard until you hit the spot..you can hear it..it'll ring with a high overtone..that's what you want..once you get that..it's your don't let it go..now before the note decays..do whatever you want with it..bend it down...shake it down..pull up..try not to break a string doing that..

It's easy really..you just got to get the feel of it..just F with it while your watching TV..pretty soon you'll know where all the G Posts are without thinkin' about it..

I would start on the G string..the heaviest unwounded string and start with the 5th fret..that's an easy one..then when you get that one..go to the fourth..then the thrird..and second..they get a little harder to nail down there ..but you'll get it.

But the art to the dive bomb is soon as you get the "ping" throw it down and show it who's boss..

Happy Ping diving!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Are you talking about the dimebag style squeals? Use your fret hand fingers to mute the other strings (ie a harmonic on the g string: lay your first finger down to mute the 1st and 2nd strings, use your thumb to mute the 6th, 5th, and 4th.) MegaMarty was asking about this technique in the Harmonics thread, check that for some other advice. Also, don't slack the string too much with the trem before you hit the harmonic, otherwise you'll get that growl.
        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I second what the other gentlemen said.
          I will also add that I prefer to angle the trem arm so my picking hand is actually beind the trem when I do this (like Dime did in his "Squeal like Dime" video). That way I can support my hand/arm on the guitar body and more accurately control the trem dive or pull-up.

I'm having a lot of fun making "wolf howls" with it, on the 6th string, hitting the harmonics at the 5th, 4th and 3rd fret.

Comment

Check this out

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll set down and practice this some.

Comment

What scares me is that you know the sound of a dying monkey being violated one last time by a rabid cheetah!
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                  What scares me is that you know the sound of a dying monkey being violated one last time by a rabid cheetah!
                  I wanna hear that :ROTF:
                  www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I...umm.......lived on the Serengeti for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro
                      I wanna hear that :ROTF:
                      Shit, dude, I don't!
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

How do I make the sucking stop!!!

I'm laughing at myself really..tonight I really sucked ass!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oops wrong thread..fuggit.

well my divebombs tonight suck too..so now it belongs on this thread.

My shit was not cooperating with me today..no mojo whatsoever..

Comment

haha :ROTF:
                            “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

people always imply that Dime invented this technique. I bet the first person to ever use a Floyd invented it. Anyhoo, here's an article from like 1985 on Dive Harmonics:

Comment

Working...
                              X