okay... educate me on .60 mm dunlop teardrop picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okay... educate me on .60 mm dunlop teardrop picks

just ordered a 24 lot off ebay. so it got me to thinking "how important is the pick?" i've used many differant guages but the .60 mm seem the most comfortable. is that what matters or do differant guages let you do differant things. either i'm making it more complicated than it needs to be or is there some real advantages/disadvantages to the guage?
    just need a theory or two.
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

Thicker picks do allow you to play more accurate and faster due to the pick not bending while plugging the strings. It's pretty much preference though as I’ve seen fast players use any size pick. I enjoy very sharp picks so I use Dunlop jazz 3 that are a 1.14mm and pointy

Comment

This forum got me using the Dunlop Jazz IIIs, the black ones. I wouldn't ever say a pick would make your playing better, but these did! But now I find it hard to play with a normal pick again. But in response to the thread, I've never been a fan of thin picks. They sound good for strumming and stuff, but for precise shredding, I find they don't keep up.
      EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I'm pretty tolerant of anything above .84mm.. if .60 is your thing, and you like the way it feels, executes attack and sound then go with that.

Comment

I use .63 and shred

Comment

.88 is the absolute thinnest I can use. Thinner than that is just too bendable and floppy for me, and I can't grip the strings that well. I usually use .96 or 1.0, but I can also use anything larger.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

child of the north-you should realy try playing leads with a mans pick you big scottish poof!.63!!!jeeez lol

jking aside-you can indeed shred on thin picks-but the responce is NO WAY near as good as thicker picks.I use 3.00 big stubbys and 1.5 that works well for ryth and doenst hamper me a lot in the lead style

The thicker the pick the more control you have-i need that and other players i know need that too-if you can make do with thin picks then fair enough DK2,try buying a selection of picks so you can see how thick n thin ones relate to to each other

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles
                This forum got me using the Dunlop Jazz IIIs, the black ones. I wouldn't ever say a pick would make your playing better, but these did! But now I find it hard to play with a normal pick again. But in response to the thread, I've never been a fan of thin picks. They sound good for strumming and stuff, but for precise shredding, I find they don't keep up.
                this forum is full of jazz pick lovers..lol..there shit matedunlops 3.00 all the way-take that from someone who has played shit loads of picks-jazz picks are too small,i have the red and black ones as backups,but i alwayts return to big stubbys after 6/7 years of playing them

Comment

First of all it is very very important what kind of pick you use.

I used 2mm Stubbys for 3 years , it was good for sweeping , but i always found that alt picking was difficult for me , and it did\nt matter how much i practiced . No about 1 month ago i bought myself one Big Stubby 3mm , and those alt picking problems are solved now , it isnt bad for sweeping too . Also for me it is much easier to play riffs on low strings with 3mm big stubby , it stays in your hand no matter what. So i dont use 2mm small ones anymore. Also i have discoverd that , good picks are 0.45 , 1,5 and 3 . Actually it seems weird but 0.45 and 3.00 are very similar to each other . 0,45 is so thin that your strings will bend the pick very easily without you even feeling it , and it makes alt picking and sweeping very easy, i dotn like those , cause i get better tone with thicker picks( some of you might now a player KC Jones aka TheJonezter OWNED with those thin picks). Now with 3mm it is opposite but you get the same effect , they are so thick that , will bend the strings without you feeling it and it is easy to play + you get better tone. Now 1.5 mm are good too, i like how you can feel the attack, but when strings 10-46 or 11-52 it is difficult to pick imo , cause they are about as string as the strings:S I dont know if any of it makes sence , for me it does.

So i think one should choose between those three 0,45mm 1,5mm or 3mm
                  Last edited by JC_Denton; 08-29-2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

I started with Fender mediums, over 26 years ago, and still use them. I've tried other types and thicknesses, but a medium pick just feels right for me.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

+1 to the guys that mentioned the Big Stubby's. They are my favorite. On acoustic I use thinner picks because the tone is better with thinner picks than heavier ones on an acoustic. But when playing electric it has to be Dunlop Tortex yellows or Big Stubbys(1 and 2 mm's).

Comment

Originally posted by jjw
                        child of the north-you should realy try playing leads with a mans pick you big scottish poof!.63!!!jeeez lol

Kiss my baws you presumably English Fanny

Comment

lol

Comment

Was i right?

Comment

i use the jazz III's as well...the tiny black ones i cant switch back to using tortex .60's like i used to. they feel so big. like im picking with a piece of plywood . but the jazz III has really improved my picking accuracy ill never go back

Comment

Working...
                              X