Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop 1mm sharps...thin picks bend to much IMO

Comment

To me heavier is more responsive like stiffer suspension on a car but I guess that could also mean less forgiving.

If you saw a slowmotion vid, The thinner pick would bend a little before snapping through the string and plucking the note, a matter of milliseconds delay, but if your playing 2000 notes it starts to add up haha!!! also to me the stiffer pick seems to give a sharper attack

I'll assume you are into heavy music and for thrashy chording and alt picking, to me there is a huge difference between the ubiquitous Fender Medium and the stiffer pointy picks mentioned here.

My favorites have been the Dulop green tortex jazz .88 altough I'm starting to like the 1.14. Although I have a bunch of wierd picks I'll play once in a while so I won't feel I'm dependant on one product (but I am)!!!
      Last edited by tanpsi; 08-31-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Well I recently went into the head of the teaching school here for him to look at my playing, and he recommended that I switch picks to something thinner and pointier. I just happened to have a Jazz III lying around (I usually play dunlop 1.5mm) and the difference it has made to my playing has been phenominal. I think I have a very soft right hand since before I saw him I was just starting to pick a lot harder and my playing was improving. But now with the Jazz III I can pick softly, which is of course more economical IF you can do it. I feel like now I can forget about my picking hand - it just follows my fretting hand wherever it goes.

I think there may be more of a science to choosing a pick based on your own technique than people think. i.e. if you pick hard, go for a heavier pick, etc Based on the fact that my guitar teacher was able to diagnose what pick I needed just by looking at my playing.
        Last edited by metal_bob1; 09-09-2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I always used the Gator Grip picks either 1.5 or 2.0 mm. After reading this thread I decided to pick up some of those 3mm Big Stubbies. Man those picks really feel and play good. I've tried the Jazz picks before and they always felt just too small for me. The big stubbies have the same smooth feel with that sharp point, but they are much more comfortable.

Thanks for turning me onto them guys!

Comment

Originally posted by jjw View Post
            child of the north-you should realy try playing leads with a mans pick you big scottish poof!.63!!!jeeez lol

jking aside-you can indeed shred on thin picks-but the responce is NO WAY near as good as thicker picks.I use 3.00 big stubbys and 1.5 that works well for ryth and doenst hamper me a lot in the lead style

The thicker the pick the more control you have-i need that and other players i know need that too-if you can make do with thin picks then fair enough DK2,try buying a selection of picks so you can see how thick n thin ones relate to to each other
            jjw... thanx for the advice.
            trying the dunlop jazz III red picks... they feel better so far, i'll keep you updated.
            Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
            Amp... Pioneer
            Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I just ordered my own custom picks..they are a 1.00 not a big change from my .96 Purple gators..but I CANNOT use a thin pick. Our other guitarist does..not sure of the size..it's FLIMSY..but he plays his ass off too. Just depends on what you get used to I guess.

Comment

I keep going back and forth betwen dunlops tortex 1.14 and the Jazz gator 474 2.00 MM
                I don't like anything thinner.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by jjw View Post
                  this forum is full of jazz pick lovers..lol..there shit matedunlops 3.00 all the way-take that from someone who has played shit loads of picks-jazz picks are too small,i have the red and black ones as backups,but i alwayts return to big stubbys after 6/7 years of playing them
                  This made me laugh.

"Even though these picks work for you, they're shit... I know, because I've played them, and obviously, I'm you" :P

I'm moving from Jazz III's to Jazztone 205's. I want to retain the size of the Jazz III's (the small size is awesome, and I would never ever go back to the horrid hugeness of regular picks), but get something that's a little thicker, grips better, and has better tone.

Comment

I like the bigger picks, the rounded triangle kinds work best for me. Been using Dunlop Ultrex lately, but the Fender heavies work well too. Used to use the tortex ones a bunch but they always seem to end up warping after a bit of usage. I'm not a good shredder, been playing a lot of texas blues lately actually, and I find the bigger picks work better if you're switching between wild rhythms and lead licks a bunch. I don't think I could ever get those pointy jobbies to do anything but speed picking...

Comment

Jazz III's!!!!!! never again will I use anything else.

Comment

I tried Jazz IIIs and thought I was going to break my strings!

I have been gradually getting heavier picks though...I'm up from Pink Gatorgrip (.58mm) to Orange Tortex (.60mm) to Green Tortex (.88mm). I did have a fling with Fender Heavy, but my playing improved drastically when I moved to the Green Tortex.

I don't think there's a rule that thicker picks will give you better speed. It's probably just what feels the best for you, and what fits your picking style/picking grip the best.
                        Scott

Comment

the guys who are saying jazz IIIs are too small why not try the XL SERIES ones?
                          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Super_Shredder I f'n love you.
                            I had no idea there was a jazz III XL! I bought some this week.
                            they're the perfect pick for me.
                            I love the III's but I thought they were just a little too small. the XL is between the III and a regular standard size pick
                            It's just what I've been searching for!
                            Last edited by kmanick; 12-02-2006, 08:06 PM.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I keep a big jar of picks on my desk,all differant gauges and sytles,it's amazing what differant vibes you can get into from just a pick.
                                www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X