No announcement yet.

I cant grip my pick, tried everything :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about using sweat band for the wrist? I sweat a lot too when performing but I never had a problem holding on to the pick. Dry you hands in between songs if you can.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Some people sweat buckets at a time, so sweat bands might work but not if you're doing it between verses. I can only imagine how many strings you go through in a month.

Get a bottle of Gold Bond powder, or Johnson's baby Powder or pool cue chalk.

Smoke a roach but don't use a clip or stone? Resin gets sticky
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I always wear a wristband so I don`t get any sweat on my bridge
        or other parts of the guitar...
        I play the Dunlop Jazz 3 picks and they don`t slip...
        Try to put skateboard grip tape on it...
        This should really work or tape the grip to your finger...
        It looks silly but maybe it will work
        Last edited by Special-K; 10-25-2006, 03:04 PM.
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I use Jazz 3s and don't sweat, and they slip.

Recently I've been going back to regular size pics. Found one in a restaurant at Summer NAMM 04 and just picked it up the other day and started using like I'd always been using it
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I use Jazz 3s and don't sweat, and they slip.

Recently I've been going back to regular size pics. Found one in a restaurant at Summer NAMM 04 and just picked it up the other day and started using like I'd always been using it
            What kind of pick was it ?
            Last edited by Special-K; 10-25-2006, 03:17 PM.
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I can't play anything with Jazz 3s.

To the OP: Wow! You must sweat a lot! Tortex did the job for me. I'd say go with the skateboard grip tape stuff. It'll probably be your best bet.
              Scott

Comment

Use a big pick so you can max contact area. Use a thick pick so it won't bend and sound mushy. And use the tape the guys above are suggesting or super glue some sand paper on to it.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Gorilla Snot will solve your problem, for sure. It's sticky and gross, but that pick ain't goin anywhere.

Get the guaranteed best price on General Care & Cleaning like the Gorilla Snot Gorilla Snot at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

EDIT:

Sorry dude - just read that you tried it already. Damn. I don't know what I would do if I were you. Seriously - you've got to go through strings like nobody's business too, right? Have you thought about seeing a doctor about it and maybe getting some kind of prescription or something?
                  Last edited by Adam; 10-26-2006, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Did anyone mention Gorilla Snot yet? j/k
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I cant grip my pick, tried everything

> I've never had a problem with the pick slipping,but have an occasional problem keeping it in the right spot. I found these picks made by Everly Music that have a 10 point star shaped hole in them,and they are available in the same colors/gauges as the standard Tortex line. Musician's Friend has them,along with these new Snarling Dog picks that are supposed to have a emery-board type surface. Tommy D.
                      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Clayton polymer picks!

The more you sweat, the more they grip

I use and shred with the .63's....

Comment

If you like the matierial of the Dunlop Ultex picks... try the Clayton Ultem picks... I prefer them over the Dunlops and they have the added benefit of being half as slippery.

Another pick to try are Cool Picks, these have a sandpaper like insert.

I have all 3 of these picks in my pocket as I type this here at work too
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

plasters... here in the uk we have first aid plaster made out of fabric... they soak up the sweat.. http://www.securitydirect.co.uk/acat..._PLasters.html

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              Try relaxing when you play. If you are sweating that much while playing you are working too hard. Playing guitar is not a physical activity.
                              BULLSHIT!! Playing guitar for me is a VERY physical activity!! I sweat onstage in the summer like a hippo!! It's all in the intensity you bring to the instrument. The fact that I jump around onstage and flail my guitar and body through the air helps. My friend Todd Youth doesn't even jump around much, and I've seen him work up so much intensity he goes off and pukes next to his amps after the set. Dead sober. On the other hand, I am relaxing in a way. I let the music flow through me as opposed to fighting it, but once I am warmed up, I can wrangle that neck like there's no tomorrow!!

And if you REALLY want to hold your pick, superglue that motherfucker to your fingers!! You'll need remover when your done playing though. Second to that, adhesive sandpaper should work best. I personally get by with scoring my picks with a knife. I use a kinfe as opposed to a razor, and a long dagger at that. One with a naked girl and a leopard on the handle I picked up on tour. The weight of it helps dig it deeper into the pick as opposed to a .5 gram razor blade.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                                Playing guitar is not a physical activity
                                HA!Guess it depends on style....I keep many picks on mic stand,and have learned to "drop and wipe" at the proper times
                                www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X