chords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chords

I've always felt more comfortable to use only 2 fingers to chord say an extended E5 (with 3 strings involved).
    I know how the usual way is but sometimes it's a bit problamatic as I can't stretch my fingers way from each other enough for them to fall properly in the appropriate frets. So, I often fall back to my own method which is: Use the index finger for the upper string and then use the last finger to fret BOTH of the adjacent lower strings. This way both my 3rd and 4th fingers are redundant and I'm happier this way as I'm doing the same thing with lesser number of fingers.
    But I've always wondered if this method will have any downsides, will it limit me in anyway or should I go as I feel most comfortable even if not conventional.
    Any thoughts, advices, should I avoid it??
    Thanks lads

Not sure I understand completely... I just use my 3rd finger to fret both the 5th and the octave to play stuff like that. Is the "usual" way to fret one string with the 3rd finger and the octave string with the 4th finger? I only do that for playing barre chords

Comment

Thanks for that TheTroy,
      But let me be clearer. Have a look at the photo at this link:

It's the same sort of thing that you do while you play Rock you like a huricane by Scorps.
      But I'm wondering if it's OK to ONLY use the very last finger (4th) to do the job of the 3rd and 4th finger as opposed to what's shown on that link (push down both strings with one finger - the 4th, flat across both strings). This way, it is more spaceous and more comfy.
      Would this be OK to carry on like?
      This way I can change chords very fast and comfortably. Any downsides to it?

Regards
      Last edited by ilbianconero; 10-21-2006, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The general rule of thumb for guitar technique is that whatever is most comfortable to you is the best thing for you to do. I just use my 3rd finger across both strings as that's what works for me. I don't think there's any reason to change either of our styles.

Comment

what you said means that I'm not alone then.
          Your method is quite similar to mine, except you use the 3rd finger to do the job of 2 fingers whereas, I use the forth finger for that purpose.
          cool
          thanks mate

Comment

TheTroy
            Guess what ..
            You just gave me an idea.
            I might start using you method as that's also comfy (I just had a go) PLUS 3rd finger is stronger than 4th, hence better for when I'm sliding up or down.

Comment

another advantage to using your third finger is that when you're playing 80s Hard Rock, it's easy to drop your 4th finger onto the 2nd string to hit the sus4 on those "A" barre shapes
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I use my pinky also for bar chords. I never used to, but I have problems with my ring finger and it just developed into me feeling more comfortable that way. I'd say yes it does cause problems if you want to do anything other then bar chords. But I also think using the fingering in the picture has the same effect. For the 80's Van Halen style of playing using you ring finger for bar chords is the only way to go. I am trying to imagine playing Unchained in my head right now to give you an idea of what I'm thinking.

Comment

Thank you guys for the input. Much appreciated.
                  Now I can more happily cary on doing it that way that I know I'm not alone.

Comment

Working...
                  X