Drum minded guitarist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum minded guitarist?

Do you any of you guys that do originals, incorporate drums with what your coming up with when your making up shit?? I know I do! Not always, but I do, do it a lot! I know I'm more of a drummer than a guitar player when I'm coming up with shit! Anyody else work the same way??
    I love admins!

:ROTF: I thout you call me!:ROTF:
    Yeah dude but i am still a drummer
    i think the best way to write cool songs is the way you think!
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

I'm glad someone understood what I meant! My drummer is very guitarminded himself! So we work gr8 together!! Our bassplayer is just a bad ass, and is very innovative!! Then our singer/vocals come last! That's how we come up with/write shit! In that order too! How do you guys come up with shit??
      I love admins!

Comment

Sometimes I start with a guitar riff, other times I build off a bass riff, and still other times I scroll through presets on the Alesis SR-16 and play with the Tempo on it.
        Once I get the basic full track done I'll listen to it for months on end until I know exactly where all the bad spots are that I need to fix, and then take a few more months of putting off fixing them
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Often I actually sit around and hum riff ideas to myself while I am programming drum tracks in Drumkit From Hell. After I get the drum parts created, I figure out how to play the riff that goes with it.

That might sound silly, but that's pretty much how I write everything these days. Sometimes I imagine some really crazy rhythms and by the time I get something going with the drums it can be a challenge to play the parts on guitar, but it keeps it fun. I used to write around guitar riffs first and foremost, but working in the other direction has made my overall compositions more interesting and varied I think. Of course I mostly do technical metal / fusion so it's off-kilter stuff pretty often that I write this way.

Comment

Wow I never realized how much people use drum machines!! I've never even scene one!! Lol! Timing hasn't been an issue so far, so I won't buy one!
            I love admins!

Comment

Haha, I use the drum software so I can record the songs. I always record the songs as I write them. It's not a timing issue

Comment

I almost always write to drum loops I make myself in Fruity Loops. I arrange the songs that way and record demo versions of them in Adobe Audition. It's a system that has worked very well for me.

Comment

Interesting! Differtent but interesting! Anyboy else have a different way of coming up with shit??
                  I love admins!

Comment

For multitracking were I used to play everything, I would add drums later on a keyboard that I had mapped to a midi module, pretty straightforward beats and fills. so most songs composed on guitar, a couple piano

However as soon as I can afford it I'm getting a real kit!

Comment

cool topic. Yes, I think drums all the time, all the fills and thrills I play rhythmatically are based on drum fills and doubled by the drums. My best friend was a drummer and a great one at that, we'd practice a lot of times just the two of us when the bass player(s) over the years would flake out an not show up. I think that really helped me but at the same time hurt because any other drummer I tried to create with never panned out to much. I love drums but hate doing them in a drum machine or DKFH....not hing like a real live drummer
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

The drums are almost always an afterthought with me, although I do have a general idea of what the song needs. I either try to start with a melody and build riffs around it, or start with riffs and try to put a melody in there.

Comment

I wish I knew drums. I have a Roland 880 that I have been fumbling with for over a year. I don't know where to put the patterns. I know what a roll is etc., but need to learn to play a kit before I can program? It's bad enough keeping up your guitar playing technique and have to figure out other instruments. Bass is no problem though.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

There's a LOT of guitars/drums interaction in Pantera, but maybe it came natually to Dime and Vinnie since they were brothers and so close?
                            "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

For me its all about Metal, and most metal is very percussive in nature to begin with. So I guess alot of the rhythm stuff I come up with is percussion in itself if you catch my drift. I was a drummer from 5th grade-high school so when I come up with stuff, the cadence of it is almost forefront to the actual notes/chordes played, using alot of palm muted gallops to open chordes or muted/open tremolo picking. to create interesting rhythms. So yes, drums are always in my head. Another thing I like to do is take riffs Ive made up and adapt them to different beats. I made a bunch of drum loops using a freeware program by Hammerhead. I exported them as WAV files to my hardrive, then burned a CD of them. Then I blare them on my stereo and play along to them. I love having fast as hell kick drum beats where the picking matches it beat for beat in certain parts.
                              Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X