Drum minded guitarist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sl2lover View Post
    Do you any of you guys that do originals, incorporate drums with what your coming up with when your making up shit?? I know I do! Not always, but I do, do it a lot! I know I'm more of a drummer than a guitar player when I'm coming up with shit! Anyody else work the same way??
    Hell yes, I write my best shit jamming with my kid..one of my favorite originals "High Speed Death Roll" ..was written in 15 minutes over a bash beat he was playing..I had some "ideas" and it just clicked ..we taped it on a boombox..and it hasn't really changed since.

I came up with ALL my chops on bass to a Roland 505 Drum machim..just fuggin' with the presets ..starting slow then increasing the tempo.

Actually that's how I tweak my amp is over Drums..what I think sounds good without drums usually sound muddy with drums..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I started out wanting to play drums so I constantly have a drum track going inside my head when I'm writing a tune. Now i just need to learn to use a drum machine. I have a million idea for songs but can't seem to get them all out.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I'd say get Guitar Pro and either an SR-16 or Alesis QSR (nice drums in there too), and MIDI them all together. Guitar Pro is great for that IMO since you can put it in tablature just like the guitar parts, and you can step to a specific time in the pattern more easily.

Programming the SR16 manually is a chore because you either have to take the default beats it gives you or step through each millisecond of each pattern, and if you miss the one you were heading for, you cannot step back one space, you have to go all the way around again!

I've heard the DKFH tracks, and while dude is good, there's no comparison between being able to put your own accent on the patterns with the hi-hat or ride.

Plus, you can hear dude's hardware rattling! I'm trying to come up with a decent riff and all I hear is "pooka pook pooka pook pooka pook" like someone's wailing on a bongo in the background :ROTF:

Anyhoo, I've tried some of the drum-specific MIDI programs - The*DrumsPro was the best IMO, but I don't think it's been updated in years. PCDrummer I think was the latest one someone posted about here a while back. It was ok - had some nice things that the SR-16 can't do natively (which are like STANDARD drum things that SHOULD have been in it), but I didn't gel with the interface as quickly as I'd like. I want something that is as easy as Tablature - preferably a grid where I activate any given piece at any given point, and each piece is on its own line in the grid.

Cannot WAIT for Line6 to get into drum modeling, as long as they don't focus on classic 50's and 60's drums (like the Variax - they should have had modern stuff in it!) - I'd love to be able to re-build my ex-drummer's kit on PC and have it sound exactly the same!
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X