No announcement yet.

Which guitarists can you imitate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sounds very much like Koukipuchevk, do you know Koukipuchevk?? Ding Dang ding dang ling dingdangdingiling stchk bing kitsch bing bang dingiling ktsch ktsch bing.

Comment

I can't sound like anyone but myself.
      I'm not bad at imitating people(you refered to the other thread the note for note thing) I can do a
      decent VH, a decent Greg Howe(on a good day), a decent Satch but
      when I do my own thing people have told me (in the past anyway) that I
      sounded a lot like Frank Marino, which would make sense because I used
      to jam to Mahagony Rush constantly back in the early 80's.

Now, I listen to so much Satch/Gilbert/Loomis/Howe/Vinnie Moore and MacAlpine that
      when I improv, a little of each of them always shows up. One thing that is
      a constant in my soloing though is the way I palm mute runs (ala EVH)
      it took me a while to figure out his approach to how he does that, and it's
      a real natural thing for me to do now,so it kind of inbred itself into my playing.

In the end I don't want to sound like any of these guys , I want to sound like me.
      One person I cannot imitate for the life of me is Yngwie, I can play alot of his stuff pretty spot on but I don't have his touch or his tone at all.
      So it always sounds like someone else playing his stuff when I play it.
      Last edited by kmanick; 12-09-2006, 12:04 AM.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
        I can't sound like anyone but myself.
        I'm not bad at imitating people(you refered to the other thread the note for note thing) I can do a
        decent VH, a decent Greg Howe(on a good day), a decent Satch but
        when I do my own thing people have told me (in the past anyway) that I
        sounded a lot like Frank Marino, which would make sense because I used
        to jam to Mahagony Rush constantly back in the early 80's.

Now, I listen to so much Satch/Gilbert/Loomis/Howe and MacAlpine that
        when I improv, a little of each of them always shows up. One thing that is
        a constant in my soloing though is the way I palm mute runs (ala EVH)
        it took me a while to figure out his approach to how he does that, and it's
        a real natural thing for me so it kind of inbred itself into my playing.

In the end I don't want to sound like any of these guys , I want to sound like me.
        One person I cannot imitate for the life of me is Yngwie, I can play alot of his stuff pretty spot on but I don't have his touch or his tone at all.
        So it always sounds like someone else playing his stuff when I play it.
        Yeah, I'll go with Nick's but just add Dime and Zack to the soup..Nick has learned stuff note for note and is good doing it..I really don't do that.

When something instantly hits me as inspirational..I'll scramble to my guitar before I actually get through the song I was listening to..all it takes is that single riff to spark an idea for me, and I'll put my spin on that vibe and make it my own..it seems to work.

Bill Z
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dave Mustaine of course. He stole my style you know He also stole my outta key singing, but that's another thread entirely.
          - Adam

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
            You guys aren't taking this seriously, It seems to me related to this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58179

Which people are answering thoughtfully

Oh well, I get no respect in real life, same here I guess Haha, Is there a spell check in this board???
            Ok, I'll try to answer this seriously. I'll break it down by technique.

Rhythm: Hetfield/Mustaine. Heavy picks, heavy downstrokes, economy fingering for half-step chord changes.

Lead: Probably more Page and Vernon Reid than anyone. Sometimes fast, sometimes sloppy, usually good sounding but always a threat of a total trainwreck. :ROTF:. I tried the YJM/Paul Gilbert thing. I'm good at alot of things, this is not one of them. My hands just don't move that fast. Guess I'm getting old.

Vibrato: This is the one I'm sure on, Eric Clapton. I try to use the twist/shake vibrato but I can't do it. The Clapton vertical bend/vibrato works for me.

This is the beautiful thing about guitar. The older you get, the more you understand how little you know how to play.
            My gear
            87 Charvel Model 6
            86 Charvel Model 4
            93 Jackson RR EX
            93 Jackson Kelly STD
            88 Ibanez RG560
            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I can imitate this kid who lives down the block from me, pretty well.

Comment

Kurt Cobain, but maybe just a little better than him.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For rhythm, I am very conscious of my technique as to what I'm after and I will down stroke when it's needed, alt pick when needed and loosen up or tighten up according to what I want going on...

As for lead...I haven't had too many comments to who I sound like accept a couple times people have said I must listen to Lynch a lot...I like his playing but I have never owned a lynch recording or been "Into" his playing. Mind you those comments are from people who are into 80's metal so...

I would like to be compared to Loomis. That who my band mate compares me to but, I think thats wishful thinking. lol
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I'd say I'd certainly nail the Iommi, Cris Oliva, Malmsteen, Vanhalen vibe. Prolly cuz I listened them incessantly forever... And probably Slayer rhythms are a definite.

I've heard that I sound like Randy Roads and Carlos Cavazo from Quiet Riot (gads)... Not happy about the latter really. Again, probably cuz I listened to them a lot.

I gotta say Bill, you sound like YOU... I don't really hear anyone too much in your playing. Just sounds like you... And I'd recognize your style anywhere.

Comment

oh c'mon Johnny, whatza talkin' about here, you are Criss Oliva himself
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I would say that i can imitate Brad Gillis, pretty good. I was heavy into his playing, when i was starting out. George Lynch would be next. He does cool artificial harmonics and had a sinister-type of playing style, back then. I also imitated Lynch & Rhoads style of picking, for a while... ya know, fanning your three fingers of your picking hand though doing that never felt comfortable to me, though.
                        [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

When I first heard the Just Say Ozzy live EP, I thought 'Holy Shit, that guitar sounds like me!' Better playing, obviously, but a similar tone and feel to the way I play (Loads of gain and too many pinch harmonics )
                          Trouble is, of course that it's Zakk Wylde, and I just can't stand the guy....

Comment

My playing sounds like Chong from "Cheech and Chong's next movie" must be the weed

Comment

Hey, I added a new one since I started this thread, although some here may think it's nothing to brag about:

I've spent alot of time online looking for a job, while listening to dragonforce.com play the same 3 songs over for hours in a row. So when I pick up my guitar to play "Wonderful tonight" by Clapton instead my right hand starts chugging out those ridiculously fast rythems and also that tremelo picking melody thing they do Maybe I have a problem but if you play "God rest ye merry Gentleman" in that style it sounds pretty cool.

Comment

I can sound like Steve Vai through my Peavey. Sometimes I can pull off some Satch.
                                My Main Rig:
                                '87 Charvel Model 4A
                                Peavey KB100 amp
                                Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                                '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                                '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                                '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                                '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                                '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Working...